Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:00:22 -0700
From:         Raymond Paquette <raymondpaquette@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: towing my van
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net>

Dennis

I'm mostly guessing about my MPG. I used to drive busses cross country, old Detroit Diesel 671 (inline six) and got about 6MPG. I'll probably have more wind resistance with the box truck. But you are correct, the engine may be pretty frugal, what with 40 years of technological advances over the 671. It's a Mitsubishi 6 cylinder turbodiesel, 20' box truck with an auto transmission. Anyone have a more educated guess about MPG? I'd love to get more than 7, but am planning/budgeting for worst case, and I really don't know much about the truck.

Raymond

On 10/14/06, Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net> wrote: > > What is wrong with that truck that you are only expecting 7 mpg? Isn't > that > one of those small engine high efficiency things? I suddenly feel much > better about the mileage of my motor home. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Raymond Paquette > Sent: Saturday, October 14, 2006 12:56 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: towing my van > > My tow vehicle is a Mitsubishi 20' box truck, diesel, auto. > > Seems like the consensus emerging here is to rent a trailer if it's cheap, > otherwise flat tow. Take out driveshaft to save VC wear but still leave > the > Syncro driveable if necessary. Rear axles not a meaningful wear/MPG > factor. > > Thanks to all for the wisdom. > > And remember, I will have room in my truck to move a thing or two for > others, anywhere enroute between San Diego to Boston, July 07. > > Raymond > > On 10/11/06, Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net> wrote: > > > > The Syncro is a lot more sensitive as there are a lot more parts in > front > > of > > the main ball bearing that you likely toasted. > > > > Dennis > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > Of > > Jonathan Farrugia > > Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 9:51 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: towing my van > > > > i agree with dennis here. i think i damaged a 2wd trans towing it on a > > dolly with the drive shafts connected from montana to michigan. the > trans > > continues to work and i have probably put 20-30k on it but the bearings > > are going and its loud. i can't say thats what did it for sure because > i > > never drove it because it was non-operational. the last one i towed > long > > distance on a dolly i pulled the shafts before the tow. > > > > jonathan > > > > On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Dennis Haynes wrote: > > > > > What is your tow vehicle? I regularly tow my Syncro behind a motor > home, > > 4 > > > wheels down and have not had any trouble. The mileage only changes ~1 > > mpg > > > with or without the van do I don't think there is much to really save > by > > > disconnecting the drive line. Pulling the center shaft will save some > VC > > > wear. Consider that you may come across a situation where you may need > > to > > > disconnect and drive the van separately. > > > > > > Check the laws of the states you will travel through, many require you > > to > > > operating brakes on the toad. > > > > > > The dolly is not a good idea for that long a tow with the rear axles > > > connected. The steady up-end will drain the gear oil from the front > > bearing > > > and maybe the low (granny) gear case. > > > > > > Dennis > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On > Behalf > > Of > > > Raymond Paquette > > > Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 2:06 PM > > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > Subject: towing my van > > > > > > Hey > > > > > > I'm planning on flat towing my Syncro about 3000 miles, with the > > driveshaft > > > and both rear axles removed. > > > > > > Opinions on how much drag I'll save by having the rear axles out? I > > expect > > > to get about 7MPG with the tow vehicle. > > > > > > It might be nice to be able do drive it around some enroute. On the > > other > > > hand the tow vehicle gets crap fuel mileage, and anything I can do to > > lessen > > > it's load is probably worthwhile. > > > > > > Someone suggested a tow dolly as the simplest and cheapest way to go > > (over > > a > > > towbar). I can't see why. I'd have to buy/rent the dolly, and I'd > > still > > > have to take out my front driveshaft. And I'd still have the same > wear > > on > > > the rear bearings and transmission. Only thing saved is on the front. > > > Doesn't seem simpler nor cheaper. What am I missing? > > > > > > Raymond > > > > > > > > > > > > > >