Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:55:53 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Convert manual into an automatic?
Comments: To: Jamie Auch <jamie@kookymathteacher.com>

On 10/15/06, Jamie Auch <jamie@kookymathteacher.com> wrote: > > Hello, > I just recently adopted an '82 diesel westy. I absolutely love camping in > my vanagon but the power of a 1.6 NA scares me traveling > with my family. I am considering a Subaru conversion and realize that I > would have to change the gearing in the transmission. The > one flaw to my VW addiction is that my with cannot drive a manual > car.(Should I say that I don't let her ;0) I would love to > install an automatic transmission with the Subaru engine. How daunting a > task is this (tranny)? > > Jamie Auch >

Jamie,

I assume you mean "wife" not "witch" when you said, "... is that my with cannot drive ...".

=)

Anyway, I am in the midst of doing the auto trans conversion on my 88 Doka now. I am planning on going to auto trans with a 1.9TD AAZ.

Here's what I so far have had to get out of the donor vehicle:

1) transmission w/ trans mount (watercooled vans have the trans cooler attached) 2) octopus coolant hose with fitting for trans cooler 3) both axles (they are different lengths) 4) shiftrod/cable combo (don't forget the locking clip or boot at end) 5) shifter w/o shifter console (neutral safety switch is in there. you can harvest harness from donor or make one up) 6) vent cover (has cut-out to accommodate shift console)

You can either use pedal assembly or just remove your clutch pedal and slave cylinder. You will need an adapter for the Subie conversion but that's another story. You should install a bigger aftermarket trans cooler when using with engines with more power than stock. I happen to also have a turbo powered Subie with an auto trans. All the extra heat can fry tranny seals pretty fast.

There's been additional details about this in the archives, so I will not get too much into detail. It really helps to have a donor vehicle next to whatever van you are converting.

Cheers, -- BenT