Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:04:12 -0700
From:         Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Porsche 911 Powered Vanagon For Sale

Howdy Folks,

I've been off-list for since July 2006 for several reasons. Today I return. I've missed you guys. How did John Wallace Day go? I was off-list then.

Although I haven't have any recent updates, many of you remember Project Vanagon, aka Vincent. He is my Porsche 911-powered 1987 Vanagon GL. I have to thank those on the list that were kind enough to help me with advice, information, and parts whenever I asked.

I hope that all of you have enjoyed watching Project Vanagon evolve as much as I have enjoyed bringing about the evolution. I was blessed by having all of the stars line up just right each and every time they had to (except, well, maybe the broken head studs on the motor, oh, and the grinder into the foot incident, and then there is the stitches to the finger, tire issues in West Texas - O.K., things weren't perfect). Anyhow, all the big stuff came together, including my ex- agreeing to this in the first place (although we're divorced now, she still deserves a great deal of credit on the project).

The latest upgrades to Project Vanagon have been a nice set of VW South Africa Big Brakes up front, stainless steel brake hoses in the rear, and a genuine leather VW SA Vanagon sport steering wheel. All good stuff.

Now, for the really big update, and the purpose of this e-mail: Project Vanagon is now for sale. Yes, Project Vanagon is now for sale.

Vincent and I have done our time together, and now it is time to move on. I'd like him to find a really special home. Someone that will appreciate him, care for him, and drive him.

Here are the briefest of stats (more available upon request): 1987 VW Vanagon GL (7-passenger version) 3.2 liter Porsche Carrera engine from 1987 Porsche 911 Porsche G50 5-speed transmission from 1987 Porsche 911 600 watts of headlights with super-duty harness SA Big Brakes Porsche Boxster S Wheels Genuine RUF muffler (stock muffler also available with Vincent) Cat Test Pipe - I guess I never quite finished testing - Genuine Porsche cat included with van Extensive top-end work done to engine immediately before installation ($$ thousands) An Air Conditioner to match any Air Conditioner (don't even ask the cost) Much, much more

Pictures Available at: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107696986

I have one person interested in the Vanagon right now, but we are at the very beginning of the talking stages, so this could easily fall through.

I don't quite have a price worked out. I figure there is $30,000+ invested. I know that it is impossible to come anywhere close to recovering the total cost involved. However, I can also tell you that buying a similar engine would easily set you back at least $7,500 plus shipping, and that is before all of the top-end work was performed. Likewise, a Porsche G50 tranny will EASILY cost you $2,500+ (shipping not included), IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. The other expenses that went into this Vanagon were endless. I don't really want to pull the engine and tranny and sell them separately. I'd like to find someone that will appreciate this Vanagon for what it is.

For those unaware of Project Vanagon I have some performance numbers for you: 1991 Vanagon 2.1 with just-broken-in Boston Bob stock rebuild: 77.0 hp at the wheels Project Vanagon with 3.2 liter Porsche 911 engine - just broken-in: 196.8 hp @ wheels GPS Verified Top Speed: 125mph

I didn't cut corners building up Vincent. There is great value here. Please pass this information out to anyone that you think may be interested. Feel free to post where you feel appropriate. I don't anticipate that this thing will sell tomorrow, but I don't want to sit on it too long.

Vincent is currently located in beautiful Seattle, Washington. Last November I drove him myself from Austin, Texas, to Seattle and I had a fabulous trip. If Project Vanagon leaves the immediate Seattle area I will certainly be happy to assist in the transport of Vincent (recommending/arranging transport companies, driving it myself, etc.).

Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or need more information.

Cheers, Bruce (with a tear in my eye) motorbruce motorbruce@hotmail.com

_________________________________________________________________ Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with Live Search! http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmtagline