Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:38:44 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW vin numbers
Comments: To: roger sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com>

You might try:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/vinview.htm

On certain models for certain years the engine may be determined by the 5th digit. On other models, you may not determine the engine from the vin. If there is an engine determination, it is VERY basic (such as: Gasoline, 4 Cylinder (Air or Water Cooled), it doesn't get very specific as to the engine family). The "decoder" site above in fact shows "unknown" for the engine digit on my 84 Westfalia. This info does appear in the factory microfiche.

For VW models, the best I've used is the fiche or ETKA. In ETKA, go to the Database Icon (to the right of the Pencil Icon), left click on the Icon and on the pull-down menu, select the "V PAGES". There is a wealth of information - have fun!

For actual engine codes (from the engine number), the best source I've used is the original parts (print) books, factory microfiche or ETKA, depending on what I am looking for.

Of course, for the Vanagon VIN decoding, you can refer to:

http://vanagon.com/info/vin/ -- Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com ********************************** On 10/23/06, roger sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com> wrote: > > I am interested in finding out how to read a vw vin number for not just > vanagons,but other vw cars.Specifically, the engine part of the vin.Whichdiget is for the engine? Which engine numbers are used?Thanks