Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:06:42 -0700
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro fool sender ...
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net>

OK! This confirms the gas tank parts that I have sitting around in my garage. I though that mine was a custom unit so I did not expand on the description. It has 2 halves circle pieces with tacked on welds to hold the bolts. (I still think that it is 8 bolts but I will double check after this email) These halves can be removed and the bolts re-tacked to repair any damaged threads. You will have to wiggle the halves and the rubber seal out of the tank with your hand and harm in the tank. OK it should be low on gas if not empty. Oh Yeah! not a good idea to light up at 4:20 doing this job. OK so there is also a rubber seal where each of those bolts fits snugly to seal the gasoline in for the inside of the tank and a similar rubber seal for the exterior between the tank and the sender. I do not know what components come in the new sender kit from our friendly parts distributors and if these rubber seals need to be ordered extra or if the two split rings come as part of the kit. This would be good to know for someone looking to get their fool gauge working again. Cheers, Joel 89 Syncro Westy Rochester NY ----- Original Message ---- From: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net> To: Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 6:26:41 AM Subject: RE: Syncro fool sender ... The ring with the bolts is two pieces. It can be easily removed. The studs are tacked to the split ring. A little grinding action and they can be removed. Dennis -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Joel Cort Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 9:37 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Syncro fool sender ... Hi guys, Apparently this can be a real painful job, if the 8 little nuts are rusted on the bolts. There are 8 nuts in a round ring holding the sender onto the platic tank. VW was real smart with this design: they integretate an internal metallic ring with 8 bolts on them with a rubber seal on the inside of the tank and another rubber seal for the outside of the tank and the sender. The problem is that this 8-bolt ring is a one piece unit that was integrated into the fool tank. I do not think it can be removed as one piece. Yes you are the fool by now if you have busted one or more bolts. If you are lucky you will not bust any of the bolts in the removal process. Seriously, the 8 little bolts pertruding out of the tank and tank ring are so pitted and crusty that you cannot even make that there are any nuts to loosen. At least here in the east where they choose salt to melt ice on the roads. Some of the nuts are easy to get to, but those will not be a problem, it is the ones behind the frame that you cannot get a grip on that will cause you the most anguish. Just like the CV bolts in the wheel well. You will have to remove the charcoal cannister and the fuool filter to get to each of those crusty little nuts.Should you be able to wiggle the 8 crusty nuts off the mounting ring, the sender should be able to come straight out in the wheel well. The sender should be able to come out if you wiggle it and angle it without having to drop the fuel tank. Should you drop the fuel tank then there are lots of breather hoses that you can replace (after you cut the damn things off). Last time I checked Van-Cafe had the sender and the rubber seals available. The sender is darn pricey for what it is but hey, it is VW. By the way I have a spare (used) tank and the used sender that came with it if someone what to make me an offer. If not, that is OK because I will hold on to it until my jimmied sender with completely fail in another 10 or 50K miles. Good luck. I can take pictures of the ring and sender parts for reference if need be. Joel 89 Syncro Westy Rochester, NY ----- Original Message ---- From: Zoltan <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 12:44:47 PM Subject: Syncro fuel sender ... Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you know the tricks to the Syncro fuel sender removing. I can see, it is not as easy as the standard Vanagon. Zoltan