Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:12:31 -0400
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rust Proofing Recommendations/ slowing rust down /
              Recommendations in
Comments: To: RAlanen@aol.com

Let's here it for Krown! I've been having my 84 Westy treated with Krown once a year since I had the body (extensively) redone --- no signs of rust (seam or otherwise) yet. I agree with Frank's comments about the extra attention that Westies need -- I always supervise the guys doing the spraying --- and they have always been very co-operative. Rare these days -- but the guys in the shop I use in Mississauga seem to want to do a good job and are very willing to accept my 'suggestions'.

One more hint --- look at Krown's website for any coupons/promo's they have on offer and then haggle like crazy to get the best deal on your first treatment. This is because you pay the same price every year as your first application -- whether they have to drill holes or not. So it's important to get the first price as low as possible.

Cheers, Doug

On 10/24/06, Frank Condelli <RAlanen@aol.com> wrote: > > In a message dated 23/10/2006 3:38:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, > LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes: > > Gang what is your thoughts on the best way to slow down rust? I have an > 1982 that has not seen many winters and will never see a winter again. > The vehicle will be garaged indoors in a dry but unheated garage. =20 > =20 > I have 2 areas of rust that I want to fix / slow down:=20 > =20 > The rust is located.... > - Underneath the bus there is surface rust pretty much everywhere but > looks & sounds solid. > - In the rear hatch on the bottom edge both sides a little but I'm > afraid it is trying to make a hole. =20 > =20 > =20 > Question 1 =20 > - Should I bother painting stuff underneath (like propane shield, > heather boxes etc) with Tremclad type rust paint to help protect and > seal everything > =20 > Question 2 =20 > - Will oil spray treatment slow the rusting down or it is too late? > What is better oil spray or wax based sprays? > =20 > Question 3 > - For inside door panels do you recommend trying to paint inside to seal > everything up or just oil spray? > =20 > Question 4=20 > -Anyone recommend a rust proofing shop in Ottawa, place familiar with > Westys or does it matter? =20 > > > > > > Jean-Pierre, by far the best rust preventive treatment is Krown > Oil. There > are many place around the Ottawa area that can do this. I use CP Tire in > Carleton Place as it's close to my shop. They have done a few Westys for > me. > The kid who does the spraying is always changing so not sure if the new > kid > knows what to do on a Westy. Here's what I can suggest: First off, > there is > no need to drill any holes in a Westy to reach any of the interior areas > EXCEPT for the right and left rear quarter panels. There are access > holes at the > bottom of the forward dogleg BUT requires a deft hand to wiggle the > flexible > spray wand in those holes, being sure to get on the outer side of the > Fiberglas insulation and reach the upper wheel arch area. Much easier to > drill a > hole at the bottom centre of the inner wheel arch in either side to get > these > areas. That makes only two holes needed ! Then remember to ask them to > remove the spare tire and spray on the other side. They always want > to forget > about this place for some reason. The panel behind the fridge cabinets > can be > reached easily by removing the service entrance covers. Spraying in the > two > holes in the rocker panels only reaches the insides of the rocker panels, > not > above UNLESS the top of the inner rocker panel is rusted away as in it is > in > most Westys I have seen. If you want to drop by for a visit before you > go > off to a Krown dealer I can show you what should be done so you could > make > sure they do it correctly. I could also take the contract to have it > done for > you and I would take it to CP Tire and insure they do > it correctly. Krown oil > will not stop rust but will slow it's progress considerably. The > treatment > must be done at least once a year to be effective. I do mine more often > depending on how much winter driving I do. You can reach me at > 613-256-6763 if > you want. > > Cheers, > > Frank Condelli > Almonte, Ontario, Canada > '87 Westy, '90 Carat, '87 Wolfsburg (Forsale) & Lionel Trains > Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley > _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html > ) > _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) > _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper > camping event, Almonte, ON, June 07 ~ 10, 2007 >

-- http://www.dougalcock.com