Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:57:30 -0500
From:         Chuck Mathis <cmathis@HOUSTON.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.2 legacy engine... oil levels...
Comments: cc: obeechi@RUNBOX.COM

Mark,

Does your 2.2 have a shortened pan? If not the two holes are the min/max marks for the oil level. If your pan has been shortened you'll need to establish a new full mark - check the Small Car Performance website (http://www.smallcar.com/vx.htm) for instructions.

After you put the quart in, did you check the level again after the return trip? Immediately after running a while I would expect some oil to be up inside the engine and could take some time to drain back down. If you filled back up shortly after shutting the engine off you likely have an extra quart in the engine. The Subie EJ22 has a lot of distance between the top of the oil in a standard pan and the bottom of the crank so this may not be a bad thing unless you do it several times. Even with a shortened pan there is still quite a bit of space between the crank and the oil.

If your engine is losing a quart of oil in a two hour drive you should be seeing a lot of blue smoke or have an easy to find leak. A frequently over looked source is the oil pump - the screws work loose and the o-ring tends to harden and crack. Oil leaking from the pump usually ends up inside the plastic belt covers. Problems with the front and rear crank seals can also cause hidden leaks.

The Vanagon oil light will have basically the same function with the Subie engine that it does with the VW engine - to alert you to low oil pressure. The oil light and/or buzzer following a freeway dash is a very common occurence with waterboxers. The usual suspected causes are 1) wrong weight oil, 2) incorrect filter and 3) worn main bearings.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy - 'Roland the Road Buffalo' (Soon to be '95 EJ22 powered)

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:20:59 -0700 From: Mark C <obeechi@RUNBOX.COM> Subject: 2.2 legacy engine... oil levels...

I have a 2.2 legacy engine... and sometimes a two hour drive seems to resul= t in having less oil than I thought I had... I have the shortened oil pan..= . and the confusing dip stick... with two holes and one hatch mark... maybe= I don't check my oil correctly... like if one side shows a higher level an= d the other side, which reading is more correct, and should your engine be = warm hot or cold... and ... I checked my oil Saturday, and it seemed fine, = or so I thought... then took a two hour freeway drive with a mixture of hea= vy traffic and high speed driving.. then hitting my brakes in city traffic = before making the round trip back causes the oil light to flash... so I sto= p, unload the rear and check the oil and I'm a quart low... like the oil th= at shows on the stick is on the tip of the tip of the dipstick, ... so I ad= ded a quart and splash... and oil level now is fine...=20

do those shortened pans ever lead to burned up engines... I'm going to have= to have someone check for an oil leak... and if one isn't found... then wh= at... >?