Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Oct 2006 08:48:45 -0700
From:         Aaron <lists@MYCOMMUNITYNET.NET>
Subject:      Second failure at sealing AT differential oil pan!

Ok all. I am having a hard time figuring this out.

I just put a used automatic tranny into my van. The tranny is fine, but I can't seem to properly seal the differential oil pan (I unsealed it to check the R&P gear). The first time I tried red RTV and it didn't work. So I pulled it off and went with the expensive ($40) VW gasket. Within 350 miles, I had lost almost a quart of gear oil and it got bad enough that I was had to stop every 50 miles to add 15oz or so on my way across Washington. I looked like a dodge caravan smoking my way around. I think the R&P is still OK though.

So, now I have an obviously bad (or badly installed) differential gasket and need to figure out what to do now as stopping every 50 miles is not a good solution. Someone mentioned "the right stuff" and I may try that next, but I need to stop leaving a trail of oil everywhere I go. I'm wondering if it's me, the oil pan, or a combination of both. I successfully used the red RTV on an oil pan when I did a Subaru conversion (not this van) and had no leaks then.

I've looked at the pan and it isn't 100% flat...it's about 1/32 off and rocks slightly from side to side but stops with a few pieces of paper. The tranny sealing surface has no obvious issues and looks flat. I can't imagine the 1/32nd being the issue, but who knows. Any other suggestions. If it's the right stuff, any suggestions on application methods (how much, etc) to use? I'd like to only do it once as the stuff is a pain to get off!!!

Thanks! Aaron '85 Westfalia