Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:42:35 -0500
From:         Allen Hill <route66rider@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: : End the hegemony of the US auto makers

A couple of years ago I decided to try to see what would be the highest MPG get. For this project, I picked up a 1977 MG-B convertible and through some combination of changes involving carb mods, ignition mods, exhaust mods, cam swap and other odd bits of parts work I was able to get it to operate at between 45 to 47 MPG on the interstate while running at 60 MPH. I believe that I could have made a final change involving a transmission swap which would have added a fifth gear overdrive (.82 final ratio) which would have pushed it just over the 50 MPG mark. Two things in this thought, while I have 40 + years experience in auto repair having once had my own shop for some years it was 15 years ago. The second being that if I can do something like this with British technology that was developed post WW2, why has the real automotive industry not done any better than it has?

Route 66 Rider! Ramon Hill Live Long and Be Free =================================