Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Oct 2006 15:02:07 -0700
From:         Pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Parting out 91 GL
Comments: cc: danoer1@EARTHLINK.NET

In response from personal experience. You will need to justify the replacement cost of YOUR van. Some years ago I had a similar event with a syncro westfalia. As the fellow quotes, you are in the drivers seat so to speak. Ask around the various wrecking yards for the 'salvage' value of your van. The numbers will vary a bit so pick an average value. Now look for recent sales of vans that are very similar to yours. Take your time. No need to rush. I got more than ten similar sale values and presented them in a spreadsheet form to the adjuster at the end of the day. I sent the firm my assessement of my vans value based on the research and asked for that sum as a replacement settlement or a replacement van. Syncro westfalias are not easy to find nor are they inexpensive. Try GoWesty, Poptop Heaven, Hoch Motors or any other firm that may specialize in vanagons westfalias or not. Pay the firm to write you a letter regarding the value of your van on their letterhead. Now armed with recent sales of comparable vans, generate your view of the value of your particular van. Write a professional letter expressing politely that the amount you are asking in settlement is based on recent research with same sales and reputable dealers. You need not mention names at this time only the fact that you have the data. Sit tight. The company will respond with an offer. If you think it is good enough offer to settle for that amount in cash and you retain title. The negotiation and maneuvering will continue for some time. You do not have to settle in any short period of time. Respond politely, restate your values and wait. Bimeby, those who rate the particular adjuster will notice that the case is still open. This is to your advantage. Eventually they will make an offer close to what you felt was reasonable. Do not change your 'price'. After all it is a data-based estimate that you feel was made in good faith with recent sales information and professional quotes.

My original offer from the zzz insurance company was for some 3500. They settled for considerably more some 10K more and I retained title. The title retention should not be mentioned until their 'final' offer that is within your tolerance of your original valuation. Then play the keep the title card.

Expect to devote some 3-4 months to the effort. It will take several weeks to ascertain the real value of your van and several more to let the process simmer on the adjusters desk. During this period of time, respond politely, refuse appropriately, and SIGN NOTHING.

They're in it for the money and in general do not care about their customers feelings. However leaving the matter to simmer when you have factual backing for your claims can move in your favor.

Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:46:23 -0700 From: Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM> Subject: Re: Parting out 91 GL

#1 see if Chris Turner is interested (jordonVW@aol.com)

and there are many "how to deal with insurance cos" in the archives. here is one I saved:

-----Original Message----- From: John C. Villines <jcvinc@MAIL.ATL.BELLSOUTH.NET> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Tuesday, May 05, 1998 7:46 AM Subject: THANK YOU all...more than 20 pmail responses to my "van totaled question"

John-

I missed the original post, but I may be able to help. I am an owner of an insurance agency in Connecticut with clients that have one car and clients with business operations all over the world. We go to bat for clients at claim time constantly. If you are claiming the damaged van from the insurance carrier for the vehicle that hit it (as you should be, but this assumes that this car was insured), you are to some degree "in the drivers seat". If you are able to demonstrate the value of your VW (including recent upgrades/improvements) you're in good shape already. However, if you find that this insurance carrier is only talking about "book value" for the average van in average condition, you've got some work to do. The responsible driver is liable for the damage or replacement of YOUR van, not a generic average van. First, don't be intimidated by the claims adjustor. In my 21 years in the insurance business, I've dealt with few that have any "people skills". Many are rude and inconsiderate; especially when dealing with a claimant that is not a customer of his/her company. Don't be afraid to flex your muscles. Threaten to complain to the insurance commissioner, and if ultimately needed, do it; with a copy of the complaint to the adjustor (no need to involve his supervisor...yet). In Connecticut complaints like this are taken seriously by the Commissioner. The adjustor has 10 days to respond to the complaint justifying his actions. The complaint becomes a permanent part of the adjustor's licensing file. Hopefully that's true where you are also. I'll bet that your problems will by now be solved. If not, now is the time to ask the adjustor who the "claims manager" for his office is, and for a phone and fax number of that person. Fax all of this to that person. If all of this fails, threaten to sue the driver, and threaten to take the issue to the court of public opinion: ie lettters to the editor of the local newspaper, and any other periodical that would strike fear into the insurance company. Be careful though, when you do this you are playing in dangerous territory. Be sure that anything you say that will be published is factual, honest, and devoid of unsubstantiated accusations. You don't want to sued over this. The bargaining power that you have falls into two areas: There is a point where most insurance companies will pay what you want just to make you go away; to make you stop being a pest. They are also quite concerned about reputation and public opinion. They don't want letters to the editor painting them as abusive corporate monsters. Finally, do come prepared to justify the $$$ that you need to be compensated for the van. Don't pick a number from a hat, and don't inflate the number. When looking for help in this situation you MUST be creditable and honest. Good luck! If I can help further e-mail me again.

Gary