Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:28:50 -0800
From:         Nathaniel Poole <npoole@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: mporting a vehicle to Canada - need advice

Please excuse the length of my reply, but thereıs a lot of info on the Œnet but I didnıt find anything that will take you from start to finish. The example Iım going to give is importing a vehicle from Washington State to BC; importing from another state to Alberta might have a few differences, but most will be the same. First of all, the license/insurance regime in the US is different than north of the border; vehicles have a State Certificate of Title which proves ownership, a separate State Vehicle License, and Private Insurance. Before you can import the vehicle into Canada you get the seller to sign on the Certificate of Title that they are surrendering interest in the vehicle. You also need them to write out a Sales Receipt (This can just be a piece of paper with VIN, year, model and make, dated and signed by the P.O.). The vehicle will also need a current State License, and if it doesnıt have one you must go to the state motor vehicle licensing office and get one (theyıre cheap). Vehicle licenses go with the vehicle, not the owner, so you can use the POıs license if the vehicle has a current one. For Insurance you go to your own insurance agent before crossing the border and explain what you are doing (you will need the vehicle VIN number, model, year and make from the P.O.) In BC you are issued what is called a Binder of Insurance, which is good for ten days, and is surprisingly inexpensive. You get them to start the insurance on the day you plan on taking possession of your new vehicle. There is no ³Transfer of ownership² paper other than what is written on the certificate of title. When you take possession of the vehicle in the states, the paperwork you must keep in the vehicle is a State License, Provincial Temporary Insurance or Binder, a Sales Receipt, and a properly filled out Certificate of Title (read this document carefully; it explains how to fill it out. The certificate will list all persons who have a legal interest in the vehicle and they ALL must sign to surrender their interest). One section of the Certificate of Title stays with the P.O. to register with state authorities that they have surrendered possession. Then you head for the border. You must export the vehicle across specific border crossings where the US allows this, you cannot export at all border crossings! The designated vehicle export customs offices are listed on the US government customs website. In Southwest BC itıs at the Pacific Hwy (truck) crossing. On the US side you MUST go to US customs and get a US Export Permit. After filling this out, you MUST wait in the US for 72 hours before exporting the vehicle. After the 72 hours is up, you return to the same US customs office where you applied for the permit, and if the vehicle is cleared for export, they stamp your US Export Permit and you are allowed to legally export the vehicle to Canada. Once in Canada, you will have to report to Canadian customs that you are importing a vehicle. You will need to show all the paperwork you have accumulated at this point, including the US Export Permit. Because the van is older than 15 years, you donıt have to pay for or pass the federal RIV program, which saves you a bundle. Because the vehicle is a non-North American make, you are supposed to pay duty (I believe itıs 9%) on the CANADIAN BOOK VALUE of the vehicle, as well as GST on the same. This book value may be far higher than what you paid. You might be able to argue this point and it may not be rigorously enforced, because when I brought my van across, the customs agent was having a very good day and she decided not to charge me the duty, and only charged me GST on the US value I paid for the van. I think I saved $400.00, which made my day! After paying these fees you are allowed to carry on with your vehicle, but keep all these documents with you in case you are pulled over by the police. Customs will give you a stamped Import Permit showing that the vehicle was legally imported and fees paid. In BC you are supposed to take the vehicle straight home and then buy a temporary BC permit to drive it to the provincial inspection shop, but nobody does this ­you still have the valid US license and your valid temporary provincial insurance, so no big deal. They just donıt like British Columbians driving around vehicles with out of province licenses. You now have to take it to a shop licensed for provincial inspections, where they will do an extensive safety check. Itıs worth your while to get a copy of the check beforehand so you can fix anything obvious right away (like burned-out lights and such. In BC even a torn driverıs seat can cause a fail). Phone around for costs for this service because it can vary widely. In BC costs range from $60-$130.00 for the same inspection. If you fail inspection you donıt have to pay the inspection fee twice, but if they have to yank wheels or something when you bring it back they might charge a nominal labour fee (thatıs assuming you take it away to do the repair work yourself rather than paying the inspecting shop to do it ­these places are full service shops that do inspections on the side). I had leaking rear brake cylinders and the shop wanted almost $300.00 to fix, and I replaced both for $40.00, brought the vehicle back, showed them the old parts, and they passed it. I then got a Provincial Certificate of Inspection. My van was in very good condition. The only other thing wrong was a burnt-out license plate light, which I had missed. Get all this done while you still have valid provincial insurance so you can drive the rig around. Remember, the insurance (in BC) is good for ten days, and the state license is still technically valid. When you at last go to transfer title into your name and get the vehicle properly insured, you MUST bring the vehicle with you so the agent can visually confirm the VIN number. Unfortunately, I had let the provincial insurance lapse before doing this so I had to pay for a temporary permit to drive it the five blocks to the agentıs office! When you get the provincial license and insurance done you will need: Bill of Sale State Certificate of Title State License and/or plates (you must surrender them so take them off when you arrive at the agentıs office) US Export Permit Canadian Import Permit stamped and showing federal taxes and fees have been paid. Certificate of Provincial Inspection showing a pass. More money ;) While all this might sound complicated, as long as you have the info beforehand and are prepared, it goes pretty seamlessly. If the vehicle you are exporting from the US hasnıt been stolen or has a hidden lien on it, you should have no problem at the border. I would find out from the PO if the vehicle is licensed, as licensing offices will probably be closed on weekends. Also have them guarantee that they have a valid and clear cert of title, especially if you get it on an ebay auction, because if the guy lies, you can get ebay to go after his ass and reimburse some costs. (as an aside, I would recommend the ebay route; I got my Riviera camper van for $1800, and Iım sure I could get $6500 here in BC, the van is in such great shape. A trick I discovered is watch a vehicle when it is first listed ­for some reason in the auction process, first listings donıt seem to get much notice, at least when I was lurking; I watched several vans pass without a single bid, but when they re-listed they would suddenly get 40 or more bids and sell for up to 9 grand! I donıt know why this is, but true to the pattern I was the only one who bid on this guyıs van (his first listing for it) and got it at his reserve price. And if it turned out that the guy misrepresented his sale, supposedly ebay with refund you and sue him.

Remember to bring with you proper I.D. when crossing to the states, your copy of provincial insurance, enough time and money to stay in the states for the drive down, the drive back, and the three-day wait at the border! I know all this is obvious, but you donıt want to drive all that way and realise that you forgot something. Hope this helps, Nathaniel