Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:36:27 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Repairing the piting in WBX heads.
Comments: To: Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>

Roger,

Though you may not be God, as you say, you will probably find that the goodness of gasket goop will make up for a multitude of sins with the wire wheel. I wouldn't worry about it as the JB weld will fill all of satan's imperfections in the head, not just the cavities.

The pitting in the Canadian heads are due to the use of Canadian water, or H2OA.

: )

One thing that I did not do when I did my 90 that you probably should look for guidance on is that the gasket goop that came with the gasket set is not highly regarded by some on this list who have done a lot more heads than I have.

Anybody want to recommend another product for Roger?

Jim

On Oct 31, 2006, at 4:51 PM, Roger Sisler wrote:

> Well thanks ,guys. I'll look around for something really flat.I got > the > idea you are conveying.50 grit emery cloth,right? 4 sheets. No fine > grit?? > > I got started today.May have made a mistake. These heads are > dirty. They > had lots of yellow stuff on the combustion chamber side. With one > head, I > used a wire wheel to clean this off and get a good look . I can say > that > Canadian heads are more coroded :>).Dont know why .I am not God. > These are > not bad. Did wire wheeling do damage? I did clean the gasket mating > surface, and I think I can see the marks left by the wheel.Not to > bad at > all.I think the sanding will remove any evidence I was there with a > wheel.Still looking for a flat sanding block. > > I cleaned the heads up with my favorite solvent(gas). I may get > ambitious > and remove the valves ,myself.I need more tools and this proceedure > will > satisfy that demand. Never done this, but I did lap the valves in a > 3.5hp > Briggs and Stratton,once. Lots of fun with those keepers. Suction > cuping > those valves, and compounding them was fun,too. Such a sence of > accomplishment to do that, and know the engine is better for it. > So , how > do I remove the valves? What tools do I need that are special?Just > do it > like in the Bentley? Just a valve spring compressor? Dont mix the > parts up. > No sweat.Where do I get lapping compound, local? > > I will use a stick of JB Weld, of recent vintage. Stays moist. 2 or 3 > passes.Understood. I like Jim's version of cleaning the pitting.Act > as a > dentist. I will use a drill and clean out those cavities. > > As far as removing aluminum ,other than in the pits, how critical > is this > for new gasket mating? I will sand flat, and I expect the aluminum > to look > like it is clean, but did I damage anything by wire wheeling? > Should I sand > with the notion of removing very very little aluminum ? >

Jim Felder felder@knology.net

"I long ago lost a hound, a bay horse, and a turtle dove, and am still on their trail. Many are the travelers I have spoken to concerning them, describing their tracks and what calls they answered to. I have met one or two who had heard the hound, and the tramp of the horse, and even seen the dove disappear behind a cloud, and they seemed as anxious to recover them as if they had lost them themselves." - henry thoreau