Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:24:19 -0500
From:         John Graham <theklube@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cruise control question
Comments: To: Jim Felder <felder@knology.net>

Jim, I have cruise control on my 88 and several years ago it started to fail intermittently. I traced the problem to a pin hole in the actuator bellows. It's the part of the system that sits there on top of the hot engine and has to do all the moving. I verified the bellow were bad by trying to pull a suction on it and could see that it wouldn't hold a vacuum. I temporarily patched it with a little dab of silicone sealer on the weak spot (which I let cure overnight). Replacement followed as soon as the part was ordered from BD and that actuator is used on multiple models so it's available.

Don't know if this is your problem, but it's a likely failure point for a moving part that's 16 years old and easy to check.

Good luck.

John Graham 88 Westy Charlotte NC