Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:06:49 -0500
From:         Ed Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: need advice on repair
Comments: To: Reilly828@AOL.COM

I don't remember the earliest post about telling them to take their time, but did you eventually tell them that you were now ready for them to get going on the van? And how did they respond?

As for the grommets, if they were telling you that THEY were getting them directly from Germany, I think it's a load of bull. No repair shop would order one part at a time from Germany. Maby their source has the parts on backorder from Germany, but I tend to doubt that also.

Between GoWesty.com, Van-Cafe.com, or Busdepot.com, somebody has the parts you need now.

If you want to continue with these people, I would ask them who is shipping them the parts that you supposedly have to wait two weeks for. Call one or more of the three aforementioned parts sources and check yourself if they are readily available. If you really want to stay with the mechanic, you could order the parts yourself and deliver to them.

Find out exactly what is wrong with the brakes and what they are saying it will take to fix them.

It takes some skill, experience, intelligence, and luck to replace the gas tank without ending up with leaks. If the mechanic is lacking in one of these areas, hope that he is blessed in another. I have put off doing my own because I've heard of other people's problems. (See the recent post about leaking at the filler) Often the vent and crossover tubes are bad as well, and mechanics don't pick up on that or replace them.

If they give you run-around or you just don't have any confidence in their ability, I would look for another shop and have it towed there if necessary. Then threaten to go after them in small claims court. Try to get them to pay another mechanic to do what they don't seem to be able to do. What part of the country are you in? Larry chase has a good list of recommend repair shops (roadhaus.com), or you can try contacting people in your area for recommendations- look on the Vanagon Rescue Squad list (http://vw.upnorth.net/Vanagon-Rescue-Squad74.htm) or the AIRS list (geared for aircooled but many owners have Vanagons, too (http://www.type2.com/rescue/) for shop advice.

There are only a few people whom I trust to work on my Vanagon. Other qualified mechanics just don't have the knowledge or experience to handle Vanagon-specific tasks, and some mechanics are just not very good to begin with.

Good luck. Ed in CT ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mary Holbert" <Reilly828@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 11:33 AM Subject: need advice on repair