Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Nov 2006 13:25:02 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cruise control diagnosis progress - ambient temp?
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>

Do you have any ground problems that you know of? You could have temperature sensitive sensor or controller problems under the dash. Read on for my two cents.

I took my vacuum control unit completely apart to understand how it works. It's fine and back together. The problem is up front in the electricals.

To begin your own diagnosis, pull the tube off the vacuum pump in the back and pull a vacuum in it. You should see the rubber bellows collapse and stay that way, advancing the throttle.

Bend over the rubber hose and wait. The vacuumm should hold. This just takes a minute and will tell you a lot about the overall ability of your system to hold a vacuum. Try this on a day when your CC is working and again on a day it is not working. If there's no difference, then the problem isn't vacuum related.

Now go to the front and lay a piece of two by four with other weight as needed to open the clutch vacuum valve. Now go to the back and try to pull a vacuum again. You should not be able to. Now go to the front and put the weight on the brake pedal. Again, you shouldn't be able to pull a vacuum.

Now test the vacuum unit by removing the three screws and the plug in the bottom. There are three prongs on the bottom. Two of them stand opposite each other. Twelve volts applied to them will run the motor, but will not pull a vacuum. To do that, the vacuum-breaker operated by the internal relay must be checked operational. Since it's so hard to do all these things at once, do them one at a time.

First, move the positive 12v clip from its motor operating terminal to the one standing sideways to the two opposing ones, the one in the middle of the three. You should hear a click. That shows that the relay is operating.

Now take a knife blade and pop the top off the oval casing, you'll see the separation line about 1/8 inch down from the top edge. It comes off easily. Switch the test leads back to the motor running position. With the motor operational, manually depress the top of the relay. Voila, vacuum. The relay, the vacuum breaker operated by the relay, and the motor and reed valve assembly (not for the faint of heart, must be dremeled apart and welded back together with a soldering iron, but you probably don't need to do this) must operate to have vacuum.

If all these vacuum operated components are working, it's time to look under the dash. Look in Bentley at 27.29 for troubleshooting what comes next, which is as far as I've had time to get to. That's where all the electrical stuff is, which is just as likely--if not more so--to have temperature-sensitive continuity issues.

Jim