Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Nov 2006 11:34:52 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      spare waterpump or alternator
Comments: cc: trooz@ADELPHIA.NET

I try to carry a belt, clamps and a few of the smaller hoses that fit in the unused space on the right side of the middle seat. When a bearing goes in either the waterpump or alternator it often will make a smaller noise before making a louder noise and failing. I am thinking if you are having waterpump bearing problems it is because the belt is too tight. Most waterpumps are new. Alternator bearings can go because of a cheap rebuild. Alternators (electrically)can fail anytime but the bearings will sing to you before they go. I think the general design is a poor with a 90 amp alternator pulling on a waterpump and a fan. The stress on that single belt mechanism runs the waterpump, radiator fan and alternator because the alternator must drive the electric fan. If the belt is too loose the alternator and waterpump will perform poorly and the van will run a bit hotter and the electric fan will run more. I think back and I can remember smelling a burned rubber smell when I shut the van off as if the belt was slipping a bit. I think this is a condition that is easy on the bearings but bad on the waterpump seal. Too tight will hurt the bearings and the brackets. I think the tension of the belt is most critical and makes a good arguement for always changing the belt when changing either the alternator or the waterpump. And always keep an ear and nose directed toward the rear of the van so you can sniff out and hear any future problems. Gary do carry a set of belts. I don't have a clue as to what spare hoses I should carry. How does one tell that the alternator is going? The only time it's happened to me was about midnight on I5 outside of scenic Kettleman City. That red light really grabs your attention when you've been on autopilot for several hours. When my water pump went, I thought for sure it had to be the auto tranny or something else seriously expensive. The noise was terrible, and I never would have guessed it was coming from the water pump! Now I hope I'd recognize it, but I'd be afraid to drive it any distance (like from Kettleman City to Visalia). Bob Trousdale '90 Westy Lately, i have install one that lasted... 6 weeks... a Graf. Why, Alternator bearing went "bazzouk", after that, 2 months later, the Alternator bracket broke slowly, another pump went with it! Now, the same guy tought that this V-Belt should be tight as hell! the 3rd Water pump, an HEPU is leaking again.... all that this pass summer! So, the conclusion, a reinforce bracket should be made, a good alternator installed, a new well adjust V-Belt and a new pump. Cheers, Ben After my first Vanagon pump died many years back, I now carry a spare new pump in all my Vanagons, no matter how recent the installed pump is. The first time I had a waterboxer waterpump fail on the road was also in Kettlemen City with my then recently purchased 1983. I stopped for gas and saw coolant flowing out onto the ground from around the shaft, no noise that I could discern but it was 15 years ago when I was a green owner. I also always carry belts and an alternator regulator/brush assembly. Mark