Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Nov 2006 22:02:17 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Learned something today.... (wheel studs)
Comments: To: neil <goofymuso@yahoo.ca>

Neil -

I knew from experience the CIP1s would not work.

At the risk of repeating myself and as I said at the outset of the original thread on this - "Why not just get the right studs from Bus Depot (or more expensively from the VW Dealer)?

211 501 627 A - 34.5mm (1.36") long - $3.95usd ea (Dealer gets $11.25usd ea!) http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211501627A "

I rest my case ;-) -- Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com ********************************** On 11/6/06, neil <goofymuso@yahoo.ca> wrote: > > ..... buy the part from VW (or other reputable vendor) > > Bought "EMPI 70-2810-0 WHL STUD, SET OF 5 CHINA" wheel > studs from CPI. > > (not slagging CPI. Did so knowing they may not work). > > I knew they would be too long, but didn't know that > splined part would be a *hair* too small in diam. and > would rotate in hole in hub. I quickly measured at > store with calipers and they seemed the same. They > aren't. (I checked two of them just now. orig: 14.7mm > EMPI: 14.6mm) They fit tightish initially, but after a > small amount of torque, they turned. Also the head of > the stud is thinner (by half roughly) than orig. > Likely not an issue, but figured the orig. design was > done so for a reason. i.e. a Vanagon wheighs more > although I might be off base on that one. > > So for those who want to save a a few, don't bother > gambling on buys for something like wheel studs. It's > not worth it. Sure they might work, but even ignoring > the fact that the head is half as thick, the fact that > the studs might turn while trying to tighten them > makes them a PITA at the very least. > > And yes I know I was warned. --- ;^) > > Cheers, > > > Neil Nicholson. > 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil