Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Nov 2006 14:11:22 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help Needed on Manual to Auto Trans wiring problem.
Comments: To: Terry K <ctonline@webtv.net>, Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net>,
          John Lauterbach <lauterba@bellsouth.net>

My thanks to those of you who offered advice on this problem. The problem resolution is not clear to me. It is fixed and the Doka runs perfectly even w/o the neutral switch. The mechanic working on the conversion is being very evasive about what the fix was. I suspect he forgot to connect some plug related to the idle compensator. He insist had to do some wiring to the transmission but refuse to say what it was all the while turning beet red when questioned. That tells me he missed something and realize it later.

Anyway, the happy ending is my 88 Canadian 2wd Doka is now an automatic.

Here's a quick summary of mods so far. Last year had powersteering added. Cost IIRC $284 including all the parts (ZF rebuilt rack) & labor. The engine/trans swap was a straight across trade. I provided all the parts except the accelerator cable. Shop provided labor and anything else needed in exchange for my dead 2.1 engine and my good 4-speed manual trans. I was giving away the engine and selling the trans for $350. So as far as I was concerned the labor part of the deal cost me $350. The engine and trans came from a donor van which cost me nothing after I sold the remains. I lucked out when a local shop was getting ready to crush a van. Got the power windows, power locks with the doors for $25. I had to remove the vent windows and power mirrors for them. Added power mirrors and wiring harness from my engine and trans donor van. I did the install.

Next stop, adding the Behr in dash AC. The donor motor came with the AC compressor ready to go. Have my 4th door with surrounding material from a Tristar for later incorporation. One of these days my little Doka Van Frankenstein will make me a nice daily driver for San Francisco hills and stop and go traffic. Who knows? Maybe my spare 1.9TD AAZ motor will finally make it's way into the engine compartment.

Cheers,

BenT http://vanagoncafe.com

ps: labor rates above based on "good buddy discount" plus lots and lots of waiting for shop to have no other work available.