Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 2006 23:42:12 -0500
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Replace Hydraulic lifters with solid lifters?
Comments: To: neil <goofymuso@YAHOO.CA>

Neil I have never found a set of aftermarket type 2 solid lifters that match the OEM hydraulic or solid cam due to incompatible materials. When I do rebuild the early type 2 engines and I do use solid lifters they are always reground OEM lifters. You can go use a hydraulic cam profile on a solid lifter engine I do it on all the time on my type 1 industrial air-cooled zamboni engines with a 2.1 WBX profile. I am a big fan of Marvel mystery oil when used one or two heat cycles before an oil change to keep the byproducts of combustion (varnish and so on ) from accumulating in the crankcase. I think backing off the valve adjustment is a great tool to both clean and purge the air from a lifters and attempt preloading when all symptoms have subsided. It can take 10 miles of city driving to have a lifter quiet down when the van has sat for an extended time this does not mean that you have a problem. I also do not advise starting the van once a week in the off season this washes the oil off the cylinder walls and promotes premature ring wear.

Bob Donalds Boston Engine

----- Original Message ----- Tom: "neil" <goofymuso@YAHOO.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 9:00 PM Subject: Re: Replace Hydraulic lifters with solid lifters?