Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:09:50 -0500
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Boston Bobs type 2-4 engine comments was <no subject>
Comments: To: Nathaniel Poole <npoole@TELUS.NET>

the air-cooled type 2 engine has more issues than being a flat 4 engine. I have never seen egg shape wear in any cylinder I meausred honed or rehoned after use. The cylinder has a taper widest at the top of the ring travel and almost no wear below the ring travel. The air-cooled engine unlike the water cooled WBX engine sees higher temps and shorter engine life. The ability of this engine to maintain a reasonable head and oil temps is key to the life and wear of the internal parts. I would never reuse a set of air-cooled pistons due to the top ring grove wear this increases oil consumption and blowby. my rebuilt engines have new piston and cylinder sets that I have rehoned the cylinders to increase the skirt clearance as advised in a VW tech bulletin in May of 1990. I have also gotten to the point I use new AMC heads that I have reworked to eliminate the shortcomings of the valves stem. I also recommend using an aditional external oil cooler to prevent the oil from reaching 225 F. The 225 F. oil temp is the saturation point of oil and when this happens head temperatures spike if the increase in load continues as in a hill climb.

The type 2-4 block in my opinion needs to be align bored if it been in a bus or van and has had the usual hours and miles. The cams need regrinding or replacing and the crank needs to be ground and is often bent to the point of binding in the block if reused as is. I am also hand fitting the center main bearing to allow the freshly align bored case to touch as the new bearings will hold the cases apart. Not only do they hold the case apart but when measured the center main bearing ID can be out of round as much as .005ths this is due to the bearing being to long. When filed at the mating surfaces enough to provide some crush and allow the case to touch it needs to be remeasured. Now the main bearing to crank clearance can be as little as .0005ths and at this point is now also round. It is then that I have the crank ground to reflect the size of the bearings that have been fitted to the case and have the proper oil clearance .

To my skeptics just bolt a center main bearing into a case and shine a flash light at the case seam before you reach for the keyborad to respond to my comments.

I have said it before and I will say it again there is a big differance between reassmbling an engine and rebuilding an engine rebuilding requires restoring the clearances and to do that you need to be able to measure them

I remain

Bob Donalds Boston Engine Exchange

all rights reserved