Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:04:55 -0800
From:         pete <pete952@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Steering rasp

>Hi

>I have a steering wheel the makes a rasping sound when it turns..........

>Ralph Channell >90 White Westy >Moraga, CA

I don't think this is your problem since you didn't mention significant steering wheel play but it's a related topic and one I haven't seen discussed on the List.

After replacing all the flexible fuel lines in August - dropping tank, full Bus Depot kit, engine and aft/fore lines it was time for a shakedown cruise to the coast for a few days before a big jaunt to Baja in October. The steering had developed a little play that I passed off to steering rack aging and was confirmed by a "reputable" local mechanic that has done some work for us in the past with no problems - he agreed that it couldn't go anywhere - can't break. Having driven many older cars in past years that had significant free play in the steering system it didn't seem to be a problem and I put steering rack replacement on my mental list of things to be done before big travels.

We didn't leave til after 1PM and ran 3+ hours across the valley - from home in the Sierras to Bodega Bay on the coast - with a floppy wheel that "experience" told me would be fine - or maybe I just got used to it. When we got to a campground up the windy coast a few miles some very tight, low speed turns were necessary. The steering play changed significantly and introduced grinding/scaping and sound/feel that spelled trouble. Being tired and the time of day we set up camp and got dinner started - the Westy could rest till the morning. After dark an 85 Westy returned to the camp site next to us - immediate friends - two sisters on vacation back from dinner - yes they were actually sisters - on the way home to Sonoma from a week up north where we were headed.

In the morning I got off my butt and on my back under the rig to play detective and track down the noise - drop the spare, unmount the speedo cable transfer case and the sight above provocked a blue cloud of profanity that could possibly be matched by Mike Collum and buddies on shoreleave 30-40 years ago. This buggy was not moving without a fix or AAA - the latter seeming most practical at the time. I got out the Bentley and read about steering and coupling discs in particular. The neighbors were so helpful - the girls went to town to catch a cell signal , Gayle got AAA on her's, the others, on their's, tracked down a shop that they had used in the past.

We ended up in Guerneville at an old, but very clean, shop that had offered a free campsite on their lot if parts weren't available til the next day - they weren't. We set up camp in the back corner under a large redwood tree and learned later that our site had been under 16 feet of water in times past - they get flooded by the Russian River at least twice a year. Late in the afternoon I heard a familiar sound and in came the Westy from the coast on their way home - just to check up on us - how totally cool! We had a couple of beers and I was able to replace some of their curtain snaps that had failed. Vanagon folks are great! As an aside - even the old Mexican guys driving Vanagons in Baja wave atcha.

Morning came, the parts came - installation was just under one hour and we were on the road for about $150 - parts and labor - no camp fee - hello, this doesn't happen in CA! This place is absolutely great! Noonan's on 5th St - Guerneville, CA - on the river road between Santa Rosa and Jenner By The Sea. We went on up the coast camping into OR to Grants Pass to visit family, heading home, camped off I5 near McCloud in view of Mt Shasta and picked up our son at SMF (Sacramento) on his way home from BOS for a short school break - a good trip overall. Things aren't always perfect but sometimes that's better in the long run.

Back to the steering - don't ignore free play in the wheel - the sections can completely separate - these coupling discs are designed to collapse in a front end collision to prevent impalement of the driver - my understanding at this point anyway - but they do wear out.

Since that problem we've run about 3500 miles including 650 into Baja and back home without a hitch - the beast ain't fast but it's somewhat dependable and a hell of a lot of fun! ( for those of you who know about Huracan John we drove UNDER that bridge in Mulege 7 weeks after the fact - they're recovering)

#1 was under a boot inside at the floorboard - now good for a spare. #2 was visible in front of the steering rack - would work for a short time fix. #3 is up next to the spare and above the speedo cablebox (which also has the O2 sensor light reset). #3 seems to get the most wear - but our's may have just been a lesser quality part - kinda looks like a shredded recap on the highway.

http://photos.yahoo.com/pete952

Happy travels

Pete and Gayle A/C Westy "banana slug" - turns 27 in Feb Murphys, CA