Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:13:40 -0500
From:         "Dr.Chris" <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Where's the water coming from?
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@ipa.net>

I have the same issue on the passenger side of my van. I think the water is coming from the gap between the rear side window glass and the black sponge and plastic vent part at the rear. In a heavy rain I can see a bead of water on top of the window seal, then it drips down...

Chris

On 11/13/06, Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@ipa.net> wrote: > Listees and Gurus alike: > > I'm in the final phase of PORing some rust issues(not REAL serious > rust) in the 90GL and thought I had solved a water seepage problem > only to find more wet last night in the same places. The locations > are in the driver's side body panel just before the rear seat and the > floor board adjacent to it ie under the rear seat cushion just in > front of the ECU mounting. The "new water" in there is not rear > heater coolant, but has assimilated its way in within the last week > or so since I had the floor matting and jute-type insulation removed > and returned to its original location. I don't want to put the rear > body trim panels back in or the rear seat until this issue is solved. > > 1. The water has primarily collected in that 9-11" "well" before the > wheel well begins its arch upward(maybe 1-2 oz), although putting in > dry fiberglass insulation back in the panel in front of it a week > ago, the bottom inch of insulation was wet for a good 2' forward of > the body seam, but wetter back by the seam and tapering off the > further forward you went. The well holding the 1-2 oz puddle had no > insulation in it > > 2. Since the top piece of fiberglass was not wet and the top section > of the bottom piece that was wet were dry, I'm assuming this didn't > come from leaky window glass gaskets. > > 3. I have shined a 300W halogen work light up and down the exterior > of the van and looked for light coming inside the van after dark to > find no light making its way into the cavities. > > 4. There is an external round rubber plug in the driver's side rear > wheel well that appears to be solidly in there, but would be exposed > to spray off the left rear tire I guess. There is an oval rubber > plug visible from under the van along the transition seam from the > horizontal to vertical panels that also appears to be well fitting > and not leaky and it appears that there's no water coming in from the > panels further to the rear on top of the wheel well. > > 5. My next step after drying out the affected area will be to go to > the car wash and force high pressure water throughout the area and > see if that gives any clue. > > Anybody got any ideas on tracking this down or where the leak(s) > might be coming from? > > TIA > > DM&FS > > > -- > No virus found in this outgoing message. > Checked by AVG Free Edition. > Version: 7.1.409 / Virus Database: 268.14.2/528 - Release Date: 11/10/2006 >