Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:18:21 -0500
From:         "Dr.Chris" <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Window Tint Asthetics
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@charter.net>
Comments: cc: Adventurewagen@yahoogroups.com

Hi All,

I'm just about ready to put my rear closet back in, but before I do so I'm going to get my windows tinted. I've checked my local laws and on the back five windows I can pretty much go as dark as I want. So now it is just a question of esthetics.

What are your thoughts on a tinting the back five windows? Would you go limo (very dark) or something somewhat lighter?

What are your thoughts about having a different shade of tint on windows on the Adventurewagen top (to assist with stealth camping)? If for instance I did the lower windows in a charcoal colour and the upper windows in a black limo tint.

What shade would you do the skylight (a balance between lighting, privacy, and heat protection)?

I am considering leaving the rear window untinted, as my experience driving other vehicles with tinted rear windows is the night visibility is virtually non existant. I can always close the rear curtains when parked. Thoughts?

My van is alpine white with a white top...

Chris

P.S. I am probably going with either Formula One or Llumar tint as per John Rogers' post on the subject.

On 7/13/05, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net> wrote: > Chris, > > My son runs a tint shop and uses only the very best of films. Says it > doesn't pay the customer or him to handle cheap film. He told me today > that currently there are only two films he recommends - Llumar > metalized films (his low end film - but it's a high end film on the > market) and Pinnacle CP film by Formula One -his high end film for his shop. > > Llumar metalized film has, as one would expect, excellent UV rejection > which reduces the heat, but has a bit of a shiny finish - not mirror > finish, but shiny enough. > > Pinnacle is a ceramic film and does it's work by UV absorption. It does > not have the shine on the surface the same way the metalized films do. > > The metalized films have been around for quite a while and have been > very good, displacing virtually all the older films for general use. > They have the disadvantage of being incompatible with the new > electronics finding their way into the newer automobiles, and in the > retrofitted electronics going into older automobiles. The metal in the > films interferes with transmission and reception. > > Enter the CP (ceramic product) films.........! > > CP films (Pinnacle - a top brand) are the newest films available. They > function by absorbing rather than reflecting UV. They do not interfere > with the new electronics, and perform at a higher level in dealing with > the heat issues. Though I have not found in the literature anything to > support my view, I believe that the CP films offer some insulative > effect in that ceramic transmits heat energy with less efficiency than > metal. I suspect that one would be better off with a CP film vs a metal > film for that reason alone, much less the excellent UV absorption. > > The only drawback to the CP films is the price. They are typically > slightly under 2-1/2 times as expensive as metal films. > > In any case, I would suggest that you get all windows except the > windshield tinted. By law the windshield cannot be tinted, and passenger > and driver window must meet a certain light transmission standard, and > that varies state to state. But virtually every state has a transmission > standard. In virtually all cases, the passenger and driver windows will > be lighter in appearance than the other windows, as a result of the law. > Usually you can go as dark as you wish on all windows except the > passenger and driver window. The windshield must remain clear, excepting > a sunshade strip that may be installed across the top of the windshield. > That too varies state to state, in terms of how much glass can be covered. > > Formula One films and Llumar films both carry national warranties and > the companies are really good at making good on any film failures. Good > tint shops will have in-house warranties as well that will take care of > any labor charges that might accrue if they did the tint installation > for you. Be sure to ask about that. > > I would suggest that you get that rear window tinted because it is a > huge heat generator. I had all my windows done, including the rear hatch > glass, and I've never had a lick of trouble with the defroster strips on > the glass. > > I personally think it a mistake to use a really dark tint on the van > windows as it interferes with clarity of vision. I'm interested in > reducing heat and glare, but I still like sufficient light to see well > through any glass while seated in the driver sat. This is especially > true at night. But to each his own. > > There is one final trick that can be done that will help glare - both > day and night - IF you can get the tint shop to do it. Of course you > are on your own on this one. The inside of the front windshield can be > tinted with a near clear metal tint. It is so neutral as not to be > "noticeably" dark, but it helps dramatically with glare. As I said, > patently illegal, but boy what a difference. > > Anyway ..... > > > IMHO, a good tint job is worth it's weight. > > Regards, > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver > > > > Christopher Gronski wrote: > > >I am considering tinting my windows and I wanted people's opinion on two things: > > > >1) Type and brand of tint, what have you used that you like? I am > >leaning towards the sort of mirrored look, but I'm still open to > >suggestions. > > > >2) Which windows to tint? I am considering only tinting the side > >windows (middle and rear) and leaving the cab area and the rear window > >untinted. I'd like your opinon on this as well > > > >Thanks, > >Chris > > > > > > > > > >