Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:16:33 -0700
From:         Tom <bueses@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stock or able to return to stock vs. custom?
Comments: To: "Dr.Chris" <gronski@GMAIL.COM>

On Nov 8, 2006, at 1:55 PM, Dr.Chris wrote:

> Just know that if you modify your van at all, its value immediately > drops to $6,000, at least acording to one vendor offering to > facilitate the sale of my van....

Yep, just what I was thinking!

Tom B. -$6k here, $6k there. > > Chris > > On 11/8/06, Tom <bueses@earthlink.net> wrote: >> > BTW - I strongly agree with Mark that any mods you make, you should >> > do it with an eye to being able to return it to stock as needed. >> > Often times your "perfect mod" will only translate to scare away >> > potential buyers should you ever need to sell your Van. >> >> >> >> >> I would leave the original battery and wiring alone. I deplore >> >> butchery >> >> such as you suggest. Add any aux batteries in such a way that >> it is a >> >> simple matter to return the base vehicle wiring to unmolested >> state. >> >> Design your new wiring so that by unhooking a single wire the >> >> vehicle is >> >> back to normal, other than the minor things you moved over to run >> >> from >> >> the aux battery. >> >> >> >> Mark >> >> >> >> This brings up a different but related thread in regards to your >> Vanagon, The pros/cons of modifying a vanagon. >> >> Since the vanagon model is relatively new in vintage auto circles >> (16-26 years old), many volks see it as a contemporary vehicle, but >> want to "update" it to todays standards. >> >> To each their own, but as stated above, do so at your own risk. If >> you must "update", think seriously about doing it in a manner that >> can easily be changed back to stock, or not doing it at all. Those >> volks that are old farts like myself, can remember all the 60's mods >> that were made to VW buses, etc. that are now major costs to restore >> back to og to make them worth any $$ at all, i.e. radiused wheel >> wells for bigger tires, cutting in windows in Panels, non vw engines >> such as Corvair, Chevy, "shorties", extended buses, etc. >> >> Flame suit on, >> >> Tom B.-65 Deluxe Westy w/ poptop? >>