Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:31:38 -0700
From:         Tom <bueses@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 6 month westy trip w/ family & tinting?
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@YAHOO.COM>

On Nov 13, 2006, at 5:06 PM, Steven Johnson wrote:

> Sorry Tom, > > I just have to disagree with you on this. I find > as a fair skinned person that even a few days of > exposure to the sun can be extremely uncomfortable > and downright dangerous if not attended to. Not > that I think a tinted window will necessarily > stop the skin damaging rays but it certainly will > go a long way in helping.

Yes, you are probably right about the sunburn to an extent. I was born & raised in Hawaii where as kids we put cocoa butter on to turn us browner, so what do I know about keeping the sun off your skin. In any event, I was more concerned about the amount of natural light in the westy for mental health reasons, etc. Natural light is good! As an architect, taking advantage of natural light is one of my main focuses in designing a building. Maybe we should consider solar light shelves above the windows in our vanagons?LOL Let the sun in when you want it, get that solar gain when it is cold, keep the sun out when it is hot, etc. Kinda hard tho when your best solar exposure keeps changing in a vanagon.!

> And closing the curtains > would also help but I think they would like to see > the scenery on their trip. So I would definately > go with the tinting and bring along sun screen > and apply it constantly if you don't want to get > skin cancer. My dad died from this and so I'm > use it liberally when I travel extensively on the > road.

Yes again on the sun screen-my left arm is way tanner than my right from driving west in the westy! I gotta get those moles looked at again!

Thanks for the disagreement!

Pax,

Tom-lotta cancer in the family, but luckily no skin cancer yet at 57 > > And when you're tired of looking out the window, > then, by all means, close the curtains if you > want. They also still sell those pull-down one-way > shades that I still find usefull as well. Be sure > to wear light colored clothing to keep the sun > reflected away and to stay comfortable. Hope you > have a working AC system as well.... > > Steven > > --- Tom <bueses@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote: >>> Now for my two cents worth on tinting. My `87 >> Sunroof Syncro came >>> from its PO with the rear window tinted and it >> definitely affects >>> my rearward visibility at night, which right now >> is from 4:00PM to >>> 9:00AM. One thing to consider is where you are >> and what is your >>> intented use for the van in the foreseeable >> future. We do not want >>> tint on our Westy's windows but when it comes time >> to travel the >>> more southern latitudes we may rethink this. >> Having spent most of >>> our lives in the frozen, now slowly thawing, North >> we will want as >>> much protection from the sun as possible. >> >> Now to your thread, the sun is not that big of a >> deal unless you live >> all year in Lake Havasu City, Az. or some place >> like that. I think >> tinting is non essential for a 6 month trip. Your >> curtains will do >> just fine when you want to keep the sun out. AC >> might be nicer if >> you will be traveling in warm climates during the >> Summer, but other >> than that, the sun is good! YMMV. >> >> Tom B.-lives in the hi desert w/ no ac or tinting >> except for top of >> windshield. >>> >>> Mark in AK >> > > > > > ______________________________________________________________________ > ______________ > Want to start your own business? > Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business. > http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index