Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Nov 2006 19:09:59 -0500
From:         Mike Bucchino <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Type 2s battery in engine compartment
Comments: To: Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>

Same deal, only even worse in this spot on the Vanagon. I looked into mine by removing the right taillight today. I don't believe it's got enough headroom in that location (even considering that a european battery is a bit shorter than others). There would be plenty of cool air from the side vent grill above, but the air cleaner horn protrudes several inches into it for a cool air source for the engine. I'm sure there's a way to reroute this horn, if you really wanted to. This would take away ballast from the front (where it's needed) and move it to the rear (where it's definitely not needed). Battery access would be very difficult for jumpstarting, checking, cleaning, and replacing.

Overall, your percieved benefit of shorter main wire length is greatly outweighed by all the negative factors.

Request disapproved; resubmit in 30 days for further disapproval........

Mike B.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard A Jones" <jones@COLORADO.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 6:39 PM Subject: Type 2s battery in engine compartment