Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Nov 2006 23:29:31 +0000
From:         Dave Vickery <davevickery@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pop Top Install

>From: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM> Some who have used this method report fashioning a bed for the stock roof. However, to my knowledge, no one has posted pictures and explanations of how they have built a bed onto the curved roof after doing this simpler install, although Mark and a few others have said they did this.

I did the simpler pop top install and put a bed up there using 1/2" plywood and 2x4s cut at an angle at the sides to support the plywood at the edges and at the right height to rest in the middle on the highpoint of the roof. I used 1" foam instead of the 1.75" stock foam and I cut the front board in half length-wise and put in a long hinge so it can fold over on itself, rather than onto the rear mattress. All of that saves space and everything fits up there. With the top up, I can fold the front board over again onto the rear mattress for normal standing space. But you could also get almost the same result with less work, if you just leave the stock front mattress loose and store it over the engine compartment when the top is down. A small compromise and easier than what I did.

If I had to do it again, I would cut much more of the arch roof out of the way, but probably not the pillars and not transplant a whole roof and weld etc. That way you can get a flatter area to start and then the bed should fit up there nicely. But I can also see the argument for cutting and welding the full roof on. When you don't do that, you spend a lot of time figuring out how it all will come together, and in the end it doesn't look as good.

I have pictures of mine posted on Vanagon.com Syncro photos area.

Dave in Denver

_________________________________________________________________ Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live Spaces http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us