Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Nov 2006 18:18:46 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stock or able to return to stock vs. custom?
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>

Yes, I have made a lot of one way alterations to various Vanagons over the years and will continue to do so. I did not argue against that to begin with, that was someone else. I opposed major electrical system butchery. Old vehicles like ours tend to develop electrical glitches even when kept stock and well taken care of. Finding these can be challenging enough even when everything is well documented. When things have been butchered you might not be able find the cause of a problem at all or get a shop to fix it either without a lot of time and money.

I have a great deal of familiarity with the Vanagon electrical system. I find the electrical wiring diagrams in the Bentley pretty much childs play compared to the computer system wiring diagrams I worked with for many years. The key to working with electrical systems is proper documentation. We have proper documentation for the stock Vanagon. Thus I argue that it is best to keep the system as stock as possible so that the existing documentation is germane.

Mark