Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Nov 2006 06:43:40 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Adding a Deep Cycle Battery and heavy duty relay

What you are doing is very dangerous if not done properly and you can burn up your whole van if you make a mistake. You can't just pick and choose parts of how others have done things without understanding the issues involved in their choices. 10 gauge wire is not heavy enough unless you design the system right. Connecting the batteries together with such small wire should not be done while the starter is operating. Using a "hot while ignition on" wire to control the relay is a bad idea because of this but Matsuwesty says that he used battery cable to connect the relay. Battery cable is not 10 gauge.

Mark