Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:07:14 -0500
From:         David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      vanagon and kids safety

Check Bentley on the 3 point belts. There are instructions for mounting 3 point belts in a vanagon and I have seen them installed in a Westy as well but some cutting must be done to the rear cabinet for the driver's side belt to pass through to the anchor. BTW- Click and Clack are dead wrong IMHO with their comparison to a volvo. Search the archives for the head on crash test results of vanagon vs. volvo-vanagon is the clear winner by any account. The tappet brothers also need to realize that any post 85 vanagon should have quite effective rear heat that should prevent any hypothermia issues south of the Arctic circle. My westfalia has been quite reliable-rebuilt the engine at 178K and replaced the transmission at 217K other repairs were parts that were quite simply worn out from all of the miles. I usually agree with most of their advice but not this time. Good luck and happy motoring.

David Clarkson 90 Westy (233K)

-----Original Message----- From: pdl_749@YAHOO.COM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 6:31 PM Subject: Kids and Vanagon safety

Hello List, We have an all-original 1988 Westy and would like to make it safer for our two young children (6 and 11). We've read Go Westy's commentaries and the rather snarky remarks in the old Car Talk post (http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/1997/July/12.html).

I realize when many of us were growing up, the cultural mindset was different and that this is a 1988 vehicle in 2006. Having said that, would upgrading to 3-point belts on the bench seat be the best step to take? How do others feel about overall kid safety in the Vanagon?

Thanks, Patricia

www.santafejournal.blogspot.com

Get a free Motorola Razr! Today Only! Choose Cingular, Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, or T-Mobile. ________________________________________________________________________ Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more.