Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:59:17 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: on the topic of diesel heaters..(and some pics of my TDi
              project)

Percy,

The Diesel heater you have was a factory option. It's an Eberspacher DA-6. There is a shematic and diagrams in the Bentley Repair Manual Page 82-12 thru 82-19 and 97-49 thru 97-52.

This has a troubleshooter page also if you have trouble getting it too run.

They get gunked out from burning Diesel . I run gasoline thru them to burn out the residue as this heater will also run on gasoline. Well it will even run on Kerosene.

I always do this safe and sane as the heater smokes like a chimney when you burn out the crud.

If you have never used it before , it's very simple to run- you just depress the on -off switch which is a timer and turn to the right. The farther right you turn produces more heat.

It's economical and effecient. It puts out about 22,000 BTU on high.

If you don't hear the pump clicking (it has two) , then you must check the safety switch which is under the dash at the right of the steering column.

The little red switch should be moved carefully.

If you hear.feel a small "twang" when you do this, you should check the fuel pump fuse near the fuse block. The manual shows the location.

If it will not run , it most likely is the glow/spark plug, the combustion blower, the fuel pump, or the thermostat. or just corroded or loose or broken wires.

I stock most of these parts for the DA-6 and BA-6.

Give it a whirl . There might be a metal cover under your van that you can remove to access your heater.

Check for rodent damage ( they like to build nests in the exhaust pipe), leaking fuel lines before turning on the heater.

Robert

1982 Westfalia

Eberspacher heater sales and service for all VW's.

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $510k for $1,698/mo. Calculate new payment! www.LowerMyBills.com/lre