Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:11:02 -0800
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Starter question- follow up

At 11/18/2006 10:23 AM, Rob wrote: >'87 Vanagon starter- >The drive pinion would not retract, I took the solenoid off and I can >slide the drive pinion in and out with my hand. I'm thinking this is >not right... Should the drive pinion spring back into the starter?

I had a starter problem and took it into NW Foreign parts in Lacey, the bendix was not going back to it's resting position and a new one was going to cost a lot. I went to Absolutely German (wrecking yard) in Seattle and got a used one for around $50, I kept the 'bad' one to check out later (my round2it file), it's worth the $5 core value. That was a few months back, since then there have been occasional minor problems, yesterday I had to push start it (I have a jumper wire to bypass the ignition switch, it didn't help). It started normally when I got home, be a drag if I had to push start it from the middle of an intersection. It seems I'd found my round2it so I'm working on the old starter.

I took the starter as far apart as I could, that snap ring on the shaft that limits the bendix travel got me, I broke the tit off my snapring pliers on it. Looking at what I could see and the picture in the Bentley I think the solenoid is what pulls the bendix back to it's resting position. The solenoid wants to pop back to its resting position after I moved it by hand so I lubed the shaft the bendix rides on and put it back together. Sitting on the bench (back together) it's now sliding back like it should. I put it back in the van and tried it out, works like it should.

Rob

becida@comcast.net Western Washington State, USA