Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Nov 2006 03:57:03 -0800
From:         Mark C <obeechi@RUNBOX.COM>
Subject:      Lug Nuts and Shock Helpers

Just got some lug nuts from Volks Cafe.. these are shaped like the oem.. but are solid... without that cap that can come off...

These are an excellent addition... no misgivings... (all too common for me... ) ..

Another mechanic put some solid lugs on which are bulbous .. at first I liked them.. but he didn't have enough... so I still had some lugs with holes cause the caps had fallen off... then I ordered Volks Cafes lug nuts.. and they are the best.. even have a chiming clink as you use your lug wrench on them.. cause of the chrome.. I guess...

I have these on my rhein wheels with the nokian wr's and koni shocks adjusted to a half turn to the right clockwise, and even new shock helpers... (rubber top for for shock that has to be fitted into the shock cover) ... the ride is starting to remind me of my friends Corvette...

The old shock helper seemed to be contributing to the noise of like a squeeky mattress over speed bumps... and when I took out the old ones.. I noticed that unlike the newer, the metal tip had come out.. and acted as if it were a part of the rubber donut that goes under the jewish head cap held in place by the lastmost nut at the top of the front shock assembly.. so maybe I could have extended its life by rejoining or rebonding this metal piece to the shock helper... though I'm not sure what sort of adhesive would hold up...

I'm not sure exactly how far the rod of the shock is supposed to extend past the nut at the top.. but mine extends about as far as the thickness of the craftsman wrench that turned the nut... (while a cut allen wrench held the rod still)

BTW, does anyone know if there are supposed to be a rubber pad for the springs on the front... for the under the bottom of the spring... I know there supposed to be such for the rear springs... and those at the rear have disintegrated... so either I can buy another for the rear from the dealer... or I can cut a base out of a a generic rubber mat from a FLAPS..