Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:15:43 -0500
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      firing on 3 cylinders.

Hello again. I had my engine timed with the help of a local guy whos good with timing, and it was running great. Then suddenly it started to sound "strange". We tracked the problem to an exaust leak, and the sound is normal for an exaust leak. However, we wanted to rule out that one of the cylinders wasnt firing, so while selectively removing the plug wires from the cap, we noticed that removing the wire from cylinder 4, there is no change in the way the engine runs. If any other wire is removed, the engine imediately runs poorly. This would make it seem that cylinder 4 is not running. We've switched wires between working cylinders, spark plugs, and a new rotor. With the plug removed turning the engine over, theres compression in that cylinder. We dont have a compression guage yet, but we know its enough to pop your finger out of the hole. Yet, it seems to not be running. Last thought is that the Cap is bad for that cylinder? I will try to get a new cap and see if that fixes things. Any sugestions on what to check would be great.

PS: I believe it ran on all 4 before it was re-timed.

-Craig Cowan '85GL Sunroof