Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:30:43 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Part number, part number, but not that part number

Another thing to keep in mind that assemblies such as the fusebox in question contain a number of individual components that are assembled into the final assembly. Each of those components has a VW (VAG) assigned part number, which most of the time are not available as separate items from VAG. 171-941-813D could very well be the "casting" component number of the fusebox/relay plate housing itself.

I have encountered this many times when trying to source an individual Bosch or Hella component for an item only available as an assembled product from VAG. I have several Bosch and Hella Microfiche plates which show an interchange from the Bosch to VAG number for each component piece - when I check the VW Part Number references in the VAG Fiche, they sometimes appear in the diagram, but are not identified with a key number reference or the Part Number at all. This is also very common with early VW hydraulics where the casting number on the cylinder is no where near the actual part number furnished by VW. -- Jim Thompson To All A Safe & Happy Thanksgiving Holiday! 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com ********************************** On 11/19/06, Mark Drillock <drillock@earthlink.net> wrote: > > This IS a case of the old part being superseded by one with a new > number. The old fuse/relay panel is very different inside from the new > type. From the outside they look much a like but not exactly. Same > connectors on the back but in slightly different locations. I have both > parts here in my collection. The newer type has both part numbers molded > into it. They are interchangeable. Vanagons came with the newer type in > 90/91 AFAIK. > > Mark > > Kim Brennan wrote: > > > Okay, here's one of those irritating things that I have found > > occassionally with VW parts. > > > > VW almost always includes the part number on the part itself. In my > > case, the fuse/relay holder on my 86 Vanagon has the part number 171 > > 941 813 D. Very easily read. > > > > Except that's not the part you have to order to get a replacement. > > You have to order 171 941 821 D. > > > > In previous cases, this wasn't a matter of a part being superceded, > > because what got delivered was still labeled with the other part > > number. We'll see, if in this case, the part I order comes labeled > > with the ordered part number, or the embedded part number....