Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:49:13 -0500
From:         Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Calling all V-gon List Computer Guru's

> John, I suggest using System Restore to get your system back to a > working state. This presumes you are using some flavor of Windows > XP...

There are a few problems with using system restore if John is dealing with a new`ish worm. Most of them get into the system restore files and trash those as well (or they will un-restore a system if you run the system restore on them) which is why I would recommend as a first step, killing the system restore.

John, if you are serious about disinfecting your computer without wipe/reinstalling. 1) backup your data!

2) disable the system restore and delete it completely.

3) get the latest in anti-virus utilities (such as going online to http://housecall.trendmicro.com and using their scanner) and thoroughly scan your system.

4) when you find what worm/virus/bug/moth/etc is invading your system, go to http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/security_response/removaltools.jsp or search for the specific removal tool on google or other search.

5) run the tool and follow all instructions about deleting/modifying files/registry keys/etc.

6) if you want system restore (i advise against it), turn it back on.

7) install a security suite

OR :D 1) backup your data!

2) wipe/reinstall O:-)

3) install a security suite

as you can see by my extremely biased opinion on the issue, it is almost always better to wipe/reinstall :D (I wipe my desktop computer once a year and defragment the drives once a month to keep it running well)

Sudhir(BOFH)