Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:08:04 -0800
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Buying from German Ebay.. Hard/Easy?

> Often think that must be the best place for rare vanagon parts and tidbits. > > But how complicated is it to buy from a foreign Ebay site? > > Is it simply a case of providing an address and the extra shipping $$??

I've picked up a few odds and ends on ebay.de before, but it's hard to find auctions that meet the two critical criteria: Versand Nach: weltweit (ships worldwide) PayPal

The banking system in europe operates very differently from the north american system. You can simply call your bank (or go online) and say "please transfer fifty euros to account number 123456" and the money just goes, no problem. Here, not so much. Bank "transfers", when they are between two different banks, are usually resolved by one bank MAILING A CHECK to the recipient. The only way to take advantage of the european banking system "Überweisung" (transfer) is to have an account with a european bank. This can be done nowadays fairly easily over the internet, but then you run into another problem. When you want to put money in your european account, you end up paying about a $40 fee for the transfer. My father, who mostly lives in Austria now but whose retirement income comes from the US, complains about this all the time. So unless the seller is truly interested enough in selling "weltweit" to accept PayPal, your only reasonable alternative is to know someone in the EU who'll do the payment transfer for you.

Never had a problem with shipping or customs. Takes a little while to get here, but if it's sent via Deutsche Post by someone who knows how to fill out a customs declaration (i.e. "nothing in this GIFT box worth anything or forbidden, move along"), no problem. Larger/heavier items might be tougher. I've only bought small stuff, like Golf mk2 mud flaps (they fit the T3 beautifully), and the steering column cowl with the heated seat dial.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger" "I will buy your Syncro!" - poptophell.com