Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:32:27 -0700
From:         David Etter <detter@MAIL.AURACOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Buying from German Ebay..  Hard/Easy?

It is truly fun trying to buy from a German source. Essentially what I do is... I use an Internet translating service (in my case Macintoshes Sherlock program). I compose my question in English... run it through the translator... then resubmit the resultant German text back into the translator for translation back into English.....I read the hilarious result coming out.... I then reword the English text to be as SHORT & SIMPLE as possible (not for the German Seller's sake but) for the computer translation program. I keep doing this until I get the same English back as I put it. That means that the seller will understand ABSOLUTELY what I am asking. Any confusion will delay and perhaps miss the bidding process so ask your most important question first. I always first ask if they will ship to Canada (or the USA) and give my home address to help them. They will wish to press ahead as fast as you do, so they may offer not only a Yes or a NO but will give the shipping as well, which will eliminate your next question. Truthfully though, those Germans are very smart and even if you bugger up the request, they will figure out what you really meant. Just as you can figure out what they are selling when you run their e-Bay Ad through your translator. Keep in mind that they cannot quote shipping prices as fast as they can here due to the complexities of the deal. I always include BOTH the German & English texts in my letter. Because the Europeans are generally more multilingual than North Americans, they very well might respond in English. They are pleased just to see that you attempt to ask in their language and they also wish to show that they are conversant in your tongue. I love to browse the German site for diesel tachometers @

http://tinylink.com/?4QVTHgHvy2

But there are many other VW parts as well. I have bought my diesel Espar furnace and a diesel tach from Europe plus other small parts and have had no problems (other than UPS) with shipping and handling. The Post office handles the customs and duty charges. Just make sure to clairify their acceptance of the payment method ABSOLUTELY & RESOLUTELY!