Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:06:42 +1100
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Does your Vanagon "ride happy"

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:34:40 -0500 From: Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU> Subject: Does your Vanagon "ride happy"

Hi,

This weekend my wife, son, two of my son's fellow boy scouts and I loaded up our Westy with backpacks, sleeping bags, etc., and headed up from coastal Massachusetts to Mt. Monadnock in New Hampshire. The van was fully loaded with people and gear. Yet we were able to cruise at 70 mph and got 21 mpg.

As I was driving home it began to dawn on me that the Vanagon was riding "happy"...it was not creaking and groaning, it was moving along on the highway, etc....it seemed that it was its "element". As I thought about it even more, I realized that my other VW vans had the same "behavior" in the past...my 67 Westy and my 93 Eurovan all seemed "happy" when fully loaded with family, equipment, etc.

Anyone ever observe this phenomenon?

Interesting timing Ric...I was only just thinking the same thing as I indeed observed that very phenomena a week and a half ago on the other side of the planet.

My '92 WBX hasn't seen a lot of action in the last few years except for local commuting and transport to gigs etc. Not that she isn't still going beautifully even as she approaches 300,000kms, still with the original engine (sans heads) gearbox and clutch. It's just that we don't need to use the van much for camping anymore since I built a number of solar powered sheds on our coastal property retreat and generally use the double cab to get down there( a round trip of 820kms) since it's preferable to take chain saws, brushcutters and tools in the back of the truck. So the van gets a fair bit of downtime sitting in it's garage back at home.

Anyway just recently I had a weekend of gigs to do in the Hunter Valley region of NSW, a very good wine producing region with wineries littered just everywhere. Carole King played there just last weekend BTW... The trip is only about 200kms each way so no biggie but it was the first chance in while for the van to stretch it's legs on a decent length trip. There were two of us in the van along with a complete PA and all the other stuff necessary for the weekend. Everyone else involved in the weekend was staying in local pubs & motels etc but I wanted to keep an eye on the PA so elected to sleep in the van at the caravan park. It was my first time sleeping in the van for maybe 3 or 4 years. The van has a full width really comfy bed and it was nice to feel those familiar surrounding once again and so I slept very well. Better than those who stayed at the pub with a nightclub going on downstairs until 2am...:-)

The weather was warm to hot for the whole weekend at around 32-34 deg C (low nineties for the metric challenged) but the coolant temp stayed rock solid the whole time and the van cruised along in fine form between 100 & 110 kph all the way there and back. I was only thinking as we cruised along how happy she seemed to be, once again being used for her intended purpose just like she always has done in the past over the last 14 years.

Anyway, the old girl performed flawlessly up there and back, used no noticeable amount of oil and still gets the same mileage it has always done since new...10L/100kms.

It was sooooo nice to be back in the Kombi....Made me fully appreciate her all over again...:-)

Cheers, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Land Rover Series 3 109 soft top ute (ex-Aust. Army)