Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:14:06 -0800
From:   roger sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:   BA 6 Heater Booster - text

Hello again. I have always wanted a BA6, but more pressing repairs needed by my 85 kept this idea on the back burner. My first experience with a BA 6 Heater Booster was several year ago. It was early winter, and about 20 some degrees outside. A light 1 inch show had been melting. I saw this Vanagon with a BA 6 operating in a driveway, that had it's sliding door open. The owner was not present, but a small dog of unknown heritage sat, inside. A well diciplined animal he was. Up on the rear seat with his eyes closed, while soaking in the warmth, and peace. He senced my presence, and opened his eyes. Seeing that I had a bag of potato chips and bounded to the door opening. No chip from any store could have coaxed this well mannered pooch form the van. Clearly, his master had ordered him not to leave. He was well groomed and knew it.A very pretty animal.I clould hear the low rumble of the heater ,operating. Very nice,I thought. Extra warmth spilled out the door and the dog was giving me his best " lonely, untakencare of and hungry" routine. I decided to stay a moment and take in this nice heater and very clean Westy.

When I left, I had about 2 or 3 chips left, and I was still hungry. What a fool ,I thought,the owner had left the door open and all that heat eas getting out. As I left I made a note to get one of those heaters,someday.I later heard that the dog and owner lived in the van.That was hard to believe as the Vanagon was very tidy.

Well ,fast forward a couple of years ,and here I am. Late last summer I was at a junkyard in senic Hagerstown Maryland.A yard known for always having 6 or 8 Vanagons. Vanagons that have sat there for more than a decade,in most cases. Weeds with large thorns had grown up and over all the vehicles.I had time that day to take a close inspection of the junked Vanagons.

The way I usually looked for a Vanagon to have a BA6 ,was to look to the right of the steering column for the heater switch guard. I was once fooled by the same guard in a diesel Vanagon, that was used for the cold strart cable.I bought that diesel. Half asleep, I saw the guard on one of theVanagons. Jolted awake, I looked underneith. Wha...... ?? What was that big 4 foot by 4 foot sheet metal cover ? It was directly over the place where a BA 6 should be. I had hit the jackpot. No, the plate was not some cruel appendage only aircooled vanagons had.It was the cover to protect the heat from a BA 6 from igniting leaves or tall grass. I only had to remove the heater and take it home for my dream of a BA6 in my 85.

Removing was not that easy to do.The gas tank needed to be removed .It took about 4 hours to do it all.Some of the screws and bolts were so crusty I had to damage wires.But, I got it out and got it home.Turns out that the BA6 is completely self contained and could have easily been a dealer installed option.The wiring harnes is seperate.Not included in the same bundle as the main wiring harness. I will show many pictures of each and every component in the BA6 system. I want to learn about it,as I know little.It will take about 6 ot 7 installments over several days.I will post it all here.Here comes the installment on the combustion air blower !

Degrees for working adults in as fast as 1 year. Bachelors, Masters, Associates. Top schools