Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:37:58 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Leaky sliding window repairs?

Being the cheap old fart that I am, I've decided to reseal the rubber gasket that envelopes the sliding glass piece. The top is loose and the part where the water is coming in is real loose too. Little sign of adhesive when I pulled on it, so we'll fix it cheap before making VW any richer. l may use a small bead of blacksilicone rather than contact cement or 3M yellow stuff, if nothing else, for a little gap filling in the factory gasket.

DM&FS

At 01:37 PM 11/20/2006, Max Wellhouse wrote: >Kinda at a loss here,so bear with me. Had my son shoot car wash rinse >spray at the suspect windows thinking the leak was in the rubber >gasket. Apparently not. Where the water was coming in was at the >upper front corner, lower front corner and at the bottom where the >front and back glass overlap. VW wants an arm and a leg for the >replacement parts and the entire window assembly is NLA. Just the >naked metal frame is over $300. Heck, the bug screen(253-847-749) is >a bargain at $72!! The cheapest I can foresee getting out of this >from VW is replacing the #'s 2, 14A, and 15 on the ETKA photo >109-00. it's likely I'm missing part #16 entirely which might make >things cheaper to fix. > >Do any of the list members have any experience replacing parts in the >sliding window or have a quick sealing tip or two? I haven't checked >the on line vendors yet, but will today or tomorrow. > >Thanks > >DM&FS > > >-- >No virus found in this outgoing message. >Checked by AVG Free Edition. >Version: 7.1.409 / Virus Database: 268.14.10/541 - Release Date: 11/20/2006

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.409 / Virus Database: 268.14.15/550 - Release Date: 11/24/2006