Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Nov 2006 09:28:46 -0800
From:         Mike Rouby <mikerouby@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Corvair Vanagon conversion
Comments: To: Vern in Bend <vernmcintosh@EONI.COM>

Vern, I will be contacting you offline if you would allow me in regards to this conversion. I will need some direction in purchasing the engine and misc. parts needed. I'm assuming post '64 110 or 95 hp engine and will attempt to get the CV adapters at this point. Now i'll also add a 4/5 speed transaxle to the list.

I'm quite pleased I'm not the only one doing this, and in the luck in finding a person familiar with the 'vairs.

Many thanks and please keep me posted.

Vern in Bend <vernmcintosh@EONI.COM> wrote: Yes, a Corvair engine fits very nicely in a Vanagon. I am in the process of converting an '80 Vanagon to a Corvair drivetrain.

Why? because I'm a Corvair guy. I've owned and driven only Corvairs all of my adult life, until the exception of the Vanagon. My daily driver for the last 32 years has been a '64 Corvan; I planned for years to make a Corvan camper, but changed my mind after camping with the WetWesties for about 4 years and observing how much more suitable is the Vanagon (a 20-year newer design) as a camper. My objective is to achieve the camping amenities of the Vanagon with the power, reliability, and economy-of-ownership that I am accustomed to with my 'Vairs.

I am using a Corvair transaxle, so no engine rotation issue, with the CV adapters from a Transvair kit. I will, of course, have to adapt shift linkage, clutch, etc.

As for fit in the Vanagon engine compartment, the Corvair engine with 'late' shrouding fits perfectly for-and-aft, with about 4 inches of excess room on each side. I'll fill in the excess and use a stock Vair engine seal. Height above the engine is not an issue. Not as high as the Bays, but the Vanagon deck is at least 4 inches higher than in the Corvair trucks.

I have pictures, but as yet no posting of them. Perhaps when I am a bit further along.

Vern McIntosh Bend, Oregon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Rouby" To: Sent: Friday, November 24, 2006 1:23 PM Subject: Corvair Vanagon conversion

--------------------------------- Cheap Talk? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.