Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Nov 2006 17:20:01 -0500
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Aircooled? - building my own interior heating system!
Comments: To: Mike Rouby <mikerouby@YAHOO.COM>

Hi Mike,

A gas heater or propane/gasoline/diesel furnace emits thousands of watts from combustion. In order to get that much energy out of a liquid you have to be able put it in to the liquid first. How the energy is distributed is irrelevant: if you are transferring the heat from liquid to the cab of the van you have top be able to put it back into the liquid or the rad soon goes cold and the van goes cold.

So lets look at the wattage and voltage requirements. Veggie oil heaters like this one: http://www.kenneke.com/veggie.html are rated at 10 amps of 12V. Watts = Volts X Amps. That electrical draw translates to provide 120 watts of heat. Less if there are thermal inefficiencies in the heater design. Are you going to heat the entire van with the equivalent of two 60W light bulbs? I don't think so. If you want to generate 1000W of heat you are going to need to pull about 80 Amps out of your battery, and a Vanagon alternator isn't rated for that much extra load. I suppose you could fit a spare alternator into an AC bracket but that's getting complicated and your engine really doesn't need to give up any additional HP.

Honestly (And since all the above was honest, so why am I singling out this particular paragraph? I don't know, it's just a figure of speech I guess.): You'd be warmer in the long run spending that $200 replacing your heater boxes or buying espar or southwind furnaces at swap meets. or buy a black cat heater and keep a window cracked. Or buy some heated clothing, or a nice warm hat and mitts.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/75/77/79 Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia www.busesofthecorn.com