Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Nov 2006 21:24:34 -0500
From:         mordo <helmut.blong@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Unidentifiable sound

I've just completed 880 miles on my 90 Carat and almost all was well...except.

Yesterday, driving around Corolla, NC the bus was running great and I was having a great time. Today, prior to leaving for Baltimore, I checked fluids and the tensions of the belts, etc. Almost immediately on the road I noticed an unfamiliar sound and felt its corresponding vibration. My first thought was front wheel bearing as i had recently had them repacked by a questionable mechanic. At my first stop, I checked the temp of the wheels. Nothing abnormal there.

My next thought was tire noise. I thought perhaps treads had become distorted from bad alignment or some such. No, they're fine and they aren't abnormally warm either. Then my thoughts went to transmission as all other systems are operating normally. Coolant temp normal, transmission shifting smoothly, etc. So, I don't think its transmission.

As I became more fixated on the noise, it of course seemed to get louder and the vibration at my feet greater. I'm baffled. The noise is like the sound of offroad tires ont he pavement. It begins to be audible at about 25 mph and grows louder as speed increases. I still am thinking it might be wheel bearings but I figure if they were bad enough to make that kind of noise, they'd be smoking hot or comppletely kaput after 350 miles at highway speed.

Any thoughts, citizens of the list? There were no unusual events to associate the new noise with am I am stumped.

-- mordo 1990 Carat