Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:13:51 -0800
From:         dusty edwards <dusty.edwards@MAC.COM>
Subject:      What to do: Keep or Sell?

I haven't posted here in a long time, but i need some good advice.

The pickle is as follows: After much thought, I've decided to sell my beloved 1990 Westy. I just moved to California and have taken a high-responsibility job that occupies much of my time - not to mention the 8 month old baby that my wife and i have. It only made sense to sell our westy in hopes of buying another one someday. I posted the westy to craigslist at a reasonable price of $9250.

I HAD a buyer from out of state. This was good b/c the westy wouldn't have to pass CA SMOG. I had a deposit on the vehicle and finaly got it into a mechanic for him to make sure that it's ready for the trek back to his home state. The mechanics report came back somewhat negative, reporting many leaks and pointing out rust underneath. My buyer has backed out.

Although I'd love to just stop pursing the sale of the vehicle, i kind of had my heart set on replacing it with a motorcycle and saving some money on payments and insurance. The biggest problem here is timing; not only is my CO registration running out (in december), but the westy will have to pass CA SMOG to be registered in CA. It won't pass b/c the muffler has a hole in it; it and the cat would need to be replaced - i'm guess-timating about $600 in work.

All that said, the vehicle runs GREAT! But, i know it's a matter of time before more money will need to be dumped into it, which i'm NOT excited about doing, nor do i have the money to do. I'm thinking that, at this point, i should just drop the price to $8K and post it to craigslist again. Part of me says that it would just make more sense to keep it, but then i remember how nice it would be to wash my hands clean of it.

Any advice? You guys have always been so helpful and insightful in times like these. Thanks! dusty. |___|_|_|__\ |___|__-|-__| "(o)-----(o)--"