Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:18:57 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: NYC to Palo Alto CA

--snip-- > Tennessee: west of Knoxville to the I-75 South Interchange is always and > has always been under re-construction since '99 when I first went thru > there. I think it's for long-term job security ;-) --snip--

The I-40/I-75 interchange used to be called 'Malfunction Junction' locally- they finally blew it up some time ago. The natives climbed every tall structure with a view of the thing and cheered mightily when it went down. I don't know what is there now but whatever it is, it's an improvement, even if it's a dirt cart path.

--snip-- > California: If you're re-fueling in Barstow --snip--

You might want to check the online fuel-prices sites to verify this before or during your trip, but I have always found the fuel to be substantially cheaper in Kingman, AZ than anywhere else along the SoCal/Flagstaff route. You should fuel up there if you can, and then the fuel stops at the intersection of 395 and 58 about 50 miles west of Barstow have usually been cheaper and easier to get to than those in Barstow in my experience. Look carefully for the sign for 58 out of Barstow, it's easy to miss. Whatever you do, do not travel this section of highway on a Sunday afternoon/evening. You will be caught in an hours-long traffic jam with all the boneheads trying to get back to LA from Laughlin and Vegas.

Cya, Robert