Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:59:05 -0500
From:         "A. Hurley" <ahurley@VIEWIT.COM>
Subject:      More on tire sizes

I went to Les Schwab the other day and while I was there asked after snow tires - I have 185 R 14 (I think) on my '85 now and he recommended Hakkapeliita but didn't have that size.

I've gone through the archives and found people have many different sizes, and there are even different sizes on eBay now.

Here is my little compilation: I like the Nokian WR 205/65 R 15 XL tires that I put on our '85 Westfalia. They are very close to the stock diameter of the original 185 R 14 tires, they are also rated 99H for the load of a Westfalia. They have a good all season tread. See www.nokiantyres.com

This 5 mph thing is really is typical of Vanagons. The new one was a little closer, and then I put Michelin XCA 205/75R14 tires on it. The XCA tires are just a bit bigger in diameter - stand taller - than other tires in a 14 inc, and that little difference brought the speed right dead on. The stock tires diameter is 25.5". A 185/80-14 or 195/75-14 fits this description. The 205/70-14 is slightly shorter depending on brand. To get the error out, you need a 26.75" tire.

I have the BFG's on my van. Although they are a little bigger than what you are looking at (225/70/16) I really like them. I regularly take my Vanagon into the mountains during snow (read: 3-4 feet of powder) and in the dirt and mud and I have yet to encounter stuckage or any sort of problem.

My choice has been to go with a 215-70. Make sure it is rated for the higher 44 psi inflation pressure for proper handling. These will be rated at 1554 lbs @ 35 psi. An "H" speed rating will also help offset any high speed heating effects and the sidewall design of an "H" rated tire will help the handling. I have used a number of these tires, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Affinit+LH30&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=17HR4AFLH30&fromCompare1=yes with excellent results.

Thanks,

Andree

Sincerely,

Andree Hurley