Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Dec 2006 21:56:35 -0600
From:         joel walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: what to do with old coolant?

> Once I took it to a garage that had one of those pressure/vaccum > coolant > exchange systems. The old antifreeze was simply collected in their > holding system for disposal along with their other liquids like oil, > brake fluid, etc, etc, etc.

this is the quickest and usually the easiest method of getting the old used coolant out of your garage. i use the Jiffy-Lube or Presto-Chango or whatever is nearby ... ask first, though. most of them sell the old coolant and oil so they don't mind at all if you come down and dump more coolant and oil into their storage tank-thingies. only thing is, don't expect THEM to do the dumping. you get to sit there, pouring it out of soda bottles or whatever you stored it in. :)

but it's better than dumping it on the lawn and diluting it with water, and waiting for the sunshine to break it down chemically. also better than dumping it into the toilet and flushing it away ... although having worked in a sewer plant for a while, this really doesn't hurt anything unless an awful LOT of people do it in the same city on the same day. by the time household chemicals (like bleach and liquid plumber and such stuff as that) get to the plant, it's so diluted with all the water and waste that it isn't really a problem at all.

hope it helps! unca joel