Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Dec 2006 08:46:08 -0800
From:         Leslie H Schwartz <lhs_emf@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      can you relate to Magic Bus by the Who?

thewho.net Welcome to the Camp I guess you all know why you're here The Hypertext Who presents Success Story Biography of The Who Who News This Month in Whostory I'm One Roger Daltrey John Entwistle Keith Moon Pete Townshend Guitar and Pen Discography Liner Notes Album Reviews Bootleg Recordings Guitar Tablature Going Mobile Complete Concert Guide Concert Photography Concerts on Tape Who in Australia Stage Banter See Me, Feel Me Video Guide - Coming Soon Multimedia Extravaganza Photo Archive My Generation Article Archive Bibliography Who Associates Who Are You Odds & Sods Chat Room Fan Pages The Seeker Frequently Asked Questions Links The Who @ Magic Bus Author: Pete Townshend Publisher:TRO-Devon Music, Inc. (BMI) With its Bo Diddley beat and room for stretching out on guitar, Pete lived to play 'Magic Bus' but John, anchored to a 'dub du-du du-du-dub dub' riff in 'A,' hated it. There wasn't much opportunity for Keith either, but he always looked pleased as punch to be making silly faces and tapping away on his little wooden block while Pete and Roger swapped those preposterous lines about trading the magic bus in for 'two hundred English pounds.' As a stage number, 'Magic Bus' became a crowd favourite if for no other reason than it was quite unlike anything else The Who ever performed. Like everything else on the original Leeds album bar 'Substitute,' the version here is extended well beyond its normal running time. It's also a great showcase for Pete and Roger is no slouch on harmonica. The original recording was produced by Kit Lambert at IBC Studios, London in the summer of 1968. It was released as a single on September 18, 1968 and it reached #26 in the U.K. charts. [It was released earlier in the U.S., on July 27, 1968 and reached #25 in the Billboard charts and #10 in the Cash Box charts. Pete wrote the song in early 1966. On November 20, 1968, Moon was joined onstage during a 20-minute version of 'Magic Bus' by the Small Faces drummer Kenny Jones and the once and future Who drummers performed it together. This was the last track on the original LP and was 7'30. It is also the last track on the remastered CD (track 14) where it clocks in at 7'22. The original performance at Leeds ran 9'41. Other live versions can be found on "Who's Last" and the "Who's Better Who's Best" video. ] This song appears on the following recordings: 30 Years of Maximum R&B Greatest Hits Live at Leeds Magic Bus Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy Rarities Vol. II The Kids Are Alright The Story of The Who The Who Collection Who's Better, Who's Best Who's Last Thanks to Who Tabswe have guitar tabs for this song! Lyrics: Every day I get in the queue (Too much, Magic Bus) To get on the bus that takes me to you (Too much, Magic Bus) I'm so nervous, I just sit and smile (Too much, Magic Bus) You house is only another mile (Too much, Magic Bus) Thank you, driver, for getting me here (Too much, Magic Bus) You'll be an inspector, have no fear (Too much, Magic Bus) I don't want to cause no fuss (Too much, Magic Bus) But can I buy your Magic Bus? (Too much, Magic Bus) Nooooooooo! I don't care how much I pay (Too much, Magic Bus) I wanna drive my bus to my baby each day (Too much, Magic Bus) I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it ... (You can't have it!) Thruppence and sixpence every day Just to drive to my baby Thruppence and sixpence each day 'Cause I drive my baby every way Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus ... I said, now I've got my Magic Bus (Too much, Magic Bus) I said, now I've got my Magic Bus (Too much, Magic Bus) I drive my baby every way (Too much, Magic Bus) Each time I go a different way (Too much, Magic Bus) I want it, i want it, I want it, I want it ... Every day you'll see the dust (Too much, Magic Bus) As I drive my baby in my Magic Bus (Too much, Magic Bus)