Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Dec 2006 16:01:23 -0500
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: shipping an engine price and shipper

Mark,

Thanks for the input. That is good to know. I didn't end up shipping so I didn't pursue it too far. I have to admit that was a rough estimate at best. I have yet to sell the enging though so that is very good information to know. I appreciate it.

On 12/1/06, Mark Tuovinen <mst@ak.net> wrote: > > One thousand dollars for Michigan to California has to be highway robbery > at its finest. I could air freight that to Alaska for less and surface > shipping for far less. We get transmissions shipped Fed Ex overnight for > $800.00 - $1,000.00 and Fed Ex surface for $200.00. I paid $110.00 for a > palletized Syncro transmission via truck freight not too long ago. While > shipping to Alaska is different than between Michigan and California the > rates to Alaska are always much higher than in the lower 48 States as the > incoming freight subsidizes the return leg of a half empty truck or > airplane. We import much more than we export and it is 2500 road miles or > 1500 air miles just to get to Seattle from Anchorage. Shop around and get > some real quotes that one is ridiculous. > > Mark in AK > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM> > Date: Friday, December 1, 2006 7:58 am > Subject: Re: shipping an engine price and shipper > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > I checked on this a few weeks ago. It depends on where you are and > > where you > > are shipping. > > > > The quote I received was from Michigan to California and it was > > around $1000 > > based on a guessed weight of 200lb.Obviuosly less distance is less > > $$$. > > Items like engines are usually placed on a pallet and are truck > > shipped.Quotes can vary by company depending on who might have > > centers at the > > originating and desination locations. I checked with our shipping > > warehousehere and they usually use Roadway Express, Yellow, or ABF. > > > > > > On 12/1/06, Ryan Miller <rmiller@azteca.com> wrote: > > > > > > Anyone know how much it is to ship an engine across country? Who > > do you > > > use? > > > > > > > > > > > > Ryan > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > Thanks, > > > > Jeff > > 90' Carat (It's Blue, It's Beautiful, It needs a lot of work) > > 86' (Soon to be donating organs to the 90') > > 85' GL (sidelined but to be resurrected in the near future) > > >